1. So is Windows XP faster or slower than 98/ME/2000?
In this article:
Lab Report: Windows XP Outperforms Earlier Versions
I see the following claims:
"On average, Windows XP-based computers:
* Score 36% higher than Windows 98 SE on Business Winstone 2001.
* Score 77% higher than Windows 98 SE on Content Creation Winstone
2001. * Perform equivalent to the record-setting speed of Windows
2000 Professional, even with the addition of extensive new
Yet elsewhere in COLA, I see postings claiming the exact opposite.
Which one should anyone believe? The Microsoft one (above) which is
bound to say "it's faster!" or the COLA ones which are bound to say
I think I prefer The Register's take on this:
Is XP performance worse than Win2k, or just the same?
"A pretty comprehensive set of benchmarks over at The Tech Report
comes up with the possibly less than earth-shattering conclusion that
WinXP is pretty much neck and neck with Win2k, from a performance point
of view. XP seems to be slightly better than Win2k when it comes to
office productivity, but is pretty well tied with it on graphics and
gaming, in some cases even marginally losing."
On my home machine, Windows XP boots faster than Windows ME. I can't
say anything about the speed of applications, as I've not compared them
as yet. The slowest system to boot is Linux Mandrake; it's also the
slowest to login.
Perhaps the answer to this question is: "Who cares?"
(My opinions are my own)
2. Linux & Mouse problems
3. linux for ppc, linux for x86, macOS 9, macOS X, windows 98 all on one network?
4. Asante Ethernet card does not work
5. how to make a network between windows 98 and linux?
6. fsck error
7. can Linux see windows 95/98 network neighborhood??
8. Italian keyboard map needed.
9. Networking linux with WINDOWS 98
10. which how-to? network linux with windows 98?
11. how to network linux & windows 98
12. PCI Network Card that definetly work in Linux and Window 98
13. Linux to Windows 98 Network Question?