NEWBIE - Plain English Network Setup

Post by Shane & Maureen Thoe » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:55:57

I need some help setting up my mini-network...  I've got two boxes, one with
Win ME and the other with RH Linux 7.0.  I've got my 'network' setup with a
NIC card in each, running through a small hub, with a cable modem connected
to the hub.  I've got my Linux box setup with DHCP, so I can browse the net
just fine through the NIC card / hub / modem.  But, how do I set it up to be
able to browse my Win ME box?  It's not vital for my Win box to look at my
Linux, but I do need my Linux to look at my Win...

I am a graphic designer, and not a computer guru.  Could a kind soul give me
a hand with this in plain english?  Without going to technical jargon unless
it's necessary?  This is my first time using Linux, so I'm still getting
used to it, and don't know a whole heck of a lot about it.

Thank you!
Shane T

NEWBIE - Plain English Network Setup

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:04:29

Hi,

Quote:> I need some help setting up my mini-network...  I've got two boxes, one
> with Win ME and the other with RH Linux 7.0.  I've got my 'network' setup
> with a NIC card in each, running through a small hub, with a cable modem
> connected to the hub.  I've got my Linux box setup with DHCP, so I can
> browse the net just fine through the NIC card / hub / modem.  But, how do I
> set it up to be able to browse my Win ME box?  It's not vital for my Win
> box to look at my Linux, but I do need my Linux to look at my Win...

You will need to install the SAMBA package onto your Linux box.  Once
installed, if you want to mount your Windows partitions on your linux box you
are going to have to use a command like:

smbmount //<computerName>/<shareName> <mountPoint>

computerName = The Windows name of the computer
sharename = The name of the share that you have
mountPoint = The directory on Linux that you want to mount too

You may have to bring up the explorer on your Windows computer and actually do
a "right click" and go into the sharing section and create a share for the
directory that you want to be able to access on your linux box.

See ya

Dean Thompson