newbie question on routes

Post by Dean Northa » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:00:33

Hi:

I've setup my system at 10.0.0.1 sub 255.0.0.0 bcast 10.255.255.255 the
sname jesus and dname apex.

1. Can someone tell me what I should see when I type route in?

2. If I'm going to set it up for DNS server w/Samba for Windoz 98 do I set a
gateway at 0.0.0.0 or 10.0.0.1 or just leave it blank??

Any help would cease to create grey hairs 4 me!!!!
Thanks Dean

newbie question on routes

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 05:51:02

If you don't have a gateway for last resort (default gateway) then you can just
leave it blank.
The default gateway is only used when a system can't reach a host on it's local
network. Then it will send the packet
to a router (that listens on the default gateway address) that wil try to
deliver that packet.

Raymond

> Hi:

> I've setup my system at 10.0.0.1 sub 255.0.0.0 bcast 10.255.255.255 the
> sname jesus and dname apex.

> 1. Can someone tell me what I should see when I type route in?

> 2. If I'm going to set it up for DNS server w/Samba for Windoz 98 do I set a
> gateway at 0.0.0.0 or 10.0.0.1 or just leave it blank??

> Any help would cease to create grey hairs 4 me!!!!
> Thanks Dean

1. NEWBIE: Routing problem with extra default route

Hi,

I'm using Redhat 7.0, with Kernel 2.4, on a box that I'm using as a masquerading
firewall, dhcp server, dns server etc..

The problem I have is that both network interfaces are adding a default route,
when I only want one of them to.  As the machine is the gateway to the Internet,
I want only the external interface to add a default route when the interface is
brought up.

The current situation is causing me problems with ipwatch, that do not occuer
when eth0 has no default route attached (I think it is a problem with trying to
ping a server over the Internet, through the wrong interface?)

I can remove the unwanted route with a "route del ...", but as soon as I
"ifdown" the interface, and then "ifup" it, the route reappears.  Where do I
modify the network scripts to tell the machine not to set a default route for
eth0?

I've looked in sysconfig/network-scripts, but no joy so far.. although I think
it may have something to do with the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network ?  There
is a GATEWAY declaration in there that matches the Gateway setting for the
unwanted route - but I can't find anything in the man pages that explains this
file.

Thanks in advance,

Hilton.

2. Sending Octal Escape codes to printer

3. Newbie Routing Query (Dual routes)

4. Linux v2.5.45 fix QT problems !

5. Newbie default gw route question

6. optical mouse (ps/2 - usb) random events problems as ps/2?

7. Problem with IP Masquerade + routed internal network (pretty newbie question)

8. natd with 2 nics

9. Netgear Route/Linux DHCP Question from Newbie

10. Routing Question (NEWBIE)

11. Newbie Routing Question

12. IPX routing question (newbie)

13. routing newbie question