PPP almost connecting

Post by JC Pollm » Mon, 06 Mar 1995 08:05:49

I have been trying to connect with my Internet provider via PPP and still have
not got it quite right. It dials up and connects, goes thru a fair about of
thrashing around and looks like it finally connects properly, but it never
goes into the background so I start my other programs (like going to X and
running Netscape). I run PPP as two files, here they are:

this is a one-line executable file I start things with:
pppd connect file2 /dev/cua1 38400 -detach crtscts modem defaultroute
noipdefault debug passive netmask 255.255.255.0

and this is file2:
chat -v "" ATDT5938120 CONNECT "" ogin: Pjpollman "" MYPASSWORD

Any suggestions?

JC Pollman

PPP almost connecting

Post by David Kastr » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 18:35:10

>I have been trying to connect with my Internet provider via PPP and still have
>not got it quite right. It dials up and connects, goes thru a fair about of
>thrashing around and looks like it finally connects properly, but it never
>goes into the background so I start my other programs (like going to X and
>running Netscape). I run PPP as two files, here they are:
>this is a one-line executable file I start things with:
>pppd connect file2 /dev/cua1 38400 -detach crtscts modem defaultroute
>noipdefault debug passive netmask 255.255.255.0
>and this is file2:
>chat -v "" ATDT5938120 CONNECT "" ogin: Pjpollman "" MYPASSWORD
>Any suggestions?

Read the man pages. If you want it to go into background, why do you
start it with the -detach option? Let me guess. You just typed a line
you found in some preconfigured script, and it does not do what you
want exactly. Instead of reading the man pages, you ask the group
for help.

It does not hurt first trying to find out what the things one is
typing are supposed to mean by checking the man page. If you think
this sounds too harsh, well, at least I gave the information you
needed as well, so don't complain.
--
David Kastrup, Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen        Tel: +49-241-72419

--
David Kastrup, Goethestr. 20, D-52064 Aachen        Tel: +49-241-72419

1. PPP almost connects.....

Red HAt 4.2, kernel 2.0.30:

Using ezppp1.0b9 to set up my first ppp connection.  I connect to the
ISP (ATT Worldnet) and it prompts me for a username.

When I enter it, It spit back garbage (random jibberish characters) and
never asks me for a password.  Needless to say, I can't get connected.

Is there a certain file I need to modify?  Anyone with experience with
ezppp and/or att worldnet, or just ppp in general that knows what's
wrong, please reply via email or usenet.

thanks in advance
Brian

2. email from Linux?

3. PPP almost connects

4. for Xkernel 2.0a, stuck on bootparamd

5. Almost PPP-connected??

6. LILO problem

7. Almost connected (drops ppp connection)

8. accept() weirdness? (Apache/1.3.6 + Solaris/2.6)

9. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

10. HELP!!! Almost connected...

11. SoundBlaster card almost works... almost.

12. CONTEST !! : Almost LINUX in almost 2Mb

13. Chat script to connect to AT&T Worldnet almost working (drops connection)