Problem with two ethernetcards

Post by Labsoft GbR m » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a little Problem with configure linux for two ethernetcards
(both are the self). The kernel find one of this, bud i can't work
with the card. I need two cards, the system is a Gateway with a
Firewalling.

Thanks for help and sorry for my bad english

Mathias

Post by Louis J. LaBash J » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I have a little Problem with configure linux for two ethernetcards
: (both are the self). The kernel find one of this, bud i can't work
: with the card. I need two cards, the system is a Gateway with a
: Firewalling.

The kernel only auto-detects the first NIC; see Don Becker's
"Multiple-Ethernet" document, look in "/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini"
on "sunsite.unc.edu".  My directory specification might contain
errors; but it's somewhere under "~/HOWTO/mini".

Also, the following URL should get you an online version:
  "http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html"

Hope this is of some utility.
--

Post by Povl H. Peders » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> : I have a little Problem with configure linux for two ethernetcards
> : (both are the self). The kernel find one of this, bud i can't work
> : with the card. I need two cards, the system is a Gateway with a
> : Firewalling.

> The kernel only auto-detects the first NIC; see Don Becker's
> "Multiple-Ethernet" document, look in "/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini"
> on "sunsite.unc.edu".  My directory specification might contain
> errors; but it's somewhere under "~/HOWTO/mini".

It seems the DE4x5 driver is better. It detects my 3 DE435 without
problems, even when booting from a simple floppy made with
cp zImage /dev/fd0

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
* To help stud newsserver

Problem with two ethernetcards

Post by Donald Beck » Mon, 28 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>> The kernel only auto-detects the first NIC; see Don Becker's
>It seems the DE4x5 driver is better. It detects my 3 DE435 without
>problems, even when booting from a simple floppy made with

Ooohhh, that's not fair!
All of the drivers with safe, reliable card detection will detect all of the
cards of that type in the machine.
All PCI cards can be detected without dangerous ISA probes, and
thus the drivers detect all of the cards.
There is one (the LANCE/PCnetISA/PCnetPCI) driver with unsafe probes that will
do the same.

The change to make the other drivers detect multiple cards is trivial --
just change one number in the eth1, eth2, and eth3 entries in
drivers/net/Space.c.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have done that by default...

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

1. Installing two ethernetcards

Hello,

I have the following problem.
I have two ethernet cards an 3c59x and an ne2000 pci.
I tried  two things:
1] Icompiled the network drivers as modules
I configured conf.modules
alias eth0 ne2k-pci
alias eth1 3c59x

I use in loadlin the option: ether=irq,base_address,eth0
ether=irq,base_address,eth1

2] I compiled them in the kernel.
I use in loadlin the option: ether=irq,base_address,eth0
ether=irq,base_address,eth1

It doesn't work. my system doesn't find the ne2k-pci card.

However when I use manually
modprobe ne2k-pci eth0
ifconfig up

It works ??

How can I solve this problem in a neat way that my kernel automatically
finds and installs the drivers

Greetings Marc

2. SATA and AMD64

3. two EEPRO100B Ethernetcard in one Linuxbox

4. ROOT DIR ????? COLORs ?

6. I18N: how to gettextize shell string containing shell variable.

7. problems with ethernetcard

8. ( Want a Mac Interface....

9. Problem with wd8013 ethernetcard

10. problem installing PCIND3 ethernetcard

11. 2 ethernetcards with problems

12. Problem with ethernetcard??

13. SIOCSFFLAGS : ethernetcard setup problems