Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by John Evan » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:16:07



I keep getting the following error messages with samba.  Originally
it was with 2.2.1a but I just upgraded and I get the same error with
2.2.2.  I have one other machine with the exact same settting except
'netbios name'.

Is it a problem with resolving the name?

added interface ip=192.168.0.28 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to BENDER failed (Not listening for calling name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
|John Evans          |  It's unlawful to set a mousetrap without   |

+------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:34:16


Hi!,

Quote:> I keep getting the following error messages with samba.  Originally
> it was with 2.2.1a but I just upgraded and I get the same error with
> 2.2.2.  I have one other machine with the exact same settting except
> 'netbios name'.

> Is it a problem with resolving the name?

> added interface ip=192.168.0.28 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> session request to BENDER failed (Not listening for calling name)
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name

Can we see the command you are issuing to get this message ?
Additionally, check to make sure that there are no firewalls running on ports
137:139 (TCP/UDP) which may be causing the system any problems.  You might
sometimes get this if you are unable to send or receive SAMBA packets to your
machine.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by John Evan » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:35:14



>> added interface ip=192.168.0.28 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>> session request to BENDER failed (Not listening for calling name)
>> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name

> Can we see the command you are issuing to get this message ?
> Additionally, check to make sure that there are no firewalls running on ports
> 137:139 (TCP/UDP) which may be causing the system any problems.  You might
> sometimes get this if you are unable to send or receive SAMBA packets to your
> machine.

I first got it when ever I did 'smbclient -L //bender'.  I also tried some other
commands and I got it when trying do 'mount -t smbfs //bender/mp3s /mnt/samba'.

If I 'smbclient -L <other host>' bender is listed in the server list with the
proper comment.

And no, I'm not running a firewall on the computer.  I also checked with
tcp_wrappers and thats a no go also.

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
|John Evans          |  It's unlawful to set a mousetrap without   |

+------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:44:59


Hi!,



>>> added interface ip=192.168.0.28 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
>>> session request to BENDER failed (Not listening for calling name)
>>> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name

>>Can we see the command you are issuing to get this message ?
>>Additionally, check to make sure that there are no firewalls running on
>>ports 137:139 (TCP/UDP) which may be causing the system any problems.  You
>>might sometimes get this if you are unable to send or receive SAMBA packets
>>to your machine.

> I first got it when ever I did 'smbclient -L //bender'.  I also tried some
> other commands and I got it when trying do 'mount -t smbfs //bender/mp3s
> /mnt/samba'.

> If I 'smbclient -L <other host>' bender is listed in the server list with
> the proper comment.

> And no, I'm not running a firewall on the computer.  I also checked with
> tcp_wrappers and thats a no go also.

Okay, one other question, is "bender" a Win2000 machine by any chance ?

Does the command: "smbclient -L //bender -I <ip of bender>" help at all ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by John Evan » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:15:00



> Okay, one other question, is "bender" a Win2000 machine by any chance ?

No, its samba 2.2.2 it was 2.2.1a but it also got the same error.

Quote:> Does the command: "smbclient -L //bender -I <ip of bender>" help at all ?

No.  :(

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
|John Evans          |  It's unlawful to set a mousetrap without   |

+------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:14:28


Hi!,



> > Okay, one other question, is "bender" a Win2000 machine by any chance ?

> No, its samba 2.2.2 it was 2.2.1a but it also got the same error.

> > Does the command: "smbclient -L //bender -I <ip of bender>" help at all ?

> No.  :(

Okay, one other test to perform.  Check to make sure that the NMBD process is
up and runnign on the machine "bender".  You may have to do a "ps -aefx | grep
nmbd" and see whether it returns anything.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by John Evan » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 05:06:32



> Okay, one other test to perform.  Check to make sure that the NMBD process is
> up and runnign on the machine "bender".  You may have to do a "ps -aefx | grep
> nmbd" and see whether it returns anything.

Yep, its up and running.

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
|John Evans          |  It's unlawful to set a mousetrap without   |

+------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Samba: session request to $HOSTNAME failed

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:29:31


Hi!,



>>Okay, one other test to perform.  Check to make sure that the NMBD process
>>is up and runnign on the machine "bender".  You may have to do a "ps -aefx
>>| grep nmbd" and see whether it returns anything.

> Yep, its up and running.

Does "tcpdump" confirm that the packets are making it to bender ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+