Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by Jim Dove » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello there,
    I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an X-Windows
program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
software installed on both machines for the different architectures, and
would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator for
Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported the
Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?

    Thanks for any reply,

    Yours,
            Jim Dovey, Javaccino Development     (http://www.javaccino.com/)

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by Crewd » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hell yeah.

Get MI/X  from http://tucows.idirect.com/xwinserver95.html

Quote:>Hello there,
>    I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an X-Windows
>program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
>software installed on both machines for the different architectures, and
>would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator for
>Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported the
>Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?

>    Thanks for any reply,

>    Yours,
>            Jim Dovey, Javaccino Development     (http://www.javaccino.com/)

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by David Fo » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello there,
>    I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an X-Windows
>program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
>software installed on both machines for the different architectures, and
>would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator for
>Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported the
>Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?

Hi

Try Xwin32 or superXserver or Keo

These are all Winxx X servers all are pretty good.

I'm using Xwin32 to post this.

Dave

--
D. J. Ford

Hatfield, Herts                          Phone:   +44 (0)1 707 886 095
AL10 0PF, U.K.                           Fax:     +44 (0)1 707 261 836

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by Elmar Weil » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

HI,
have a look at www.starnet.com. They have what your looking for and
prg is free for 2 hours per session
Elmar

# Hello there,
#     I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an
X-Windows
# program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
# software installed on both machines for the different architectures,
and
# would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator
for
# Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported
the
# Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?
#
#     Thanks for any reply,
#
#     Yours,
#             Jim Dovey, Javaccino Development
(http://www.javaccino.com/)
#
#

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by Neil Zanel » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yes, go to http://www.tucows.com/ and get the software.

X Win-Pro is imho the best except for it's a bit pricey.

Then there's Xwin32 .

These two are shareware. X Win-Pro expires after one month.

Then there's MI-X which is free, but I haven't had much luck

with it.

N.

Post by Donald S Thras » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello there,
>     I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an X-Windows
> program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
> software installed on both machines for the different architectures, and
> would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator for
> Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported the
> Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?

>     Thanks for any reply,

>     Yours,
>             Jim Dovey, Javaccino Development     (http://www.javaccino.com/)

Check out VNC.  Just load the server and the viewer and go.  It will
work the other way too.  A search on VNC should get it.

        Don

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by Neil Zanell » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I want to telnet from win95 to Linux.

I have two ethernet cards which work fine when connected peer-to-peer and
both machines run Linux.

Now, how do I configure my card under windows for this use.
Eventually I want to be able to run an X server under windows.

Why is it that windows has to make things so user-complicated
when all I had to do in Linux was build a new kernel with support for
my card and install PCMCIA on the other computer???

Thanks for your help,

Neil

Run X-Windows programs from Windows Workstation?

Post by GenaB » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi, Neil!

Quote:>I want to telnet from win95 to Linux.

>I have two ethernet cards which work fine when connected peer-to-peer and
>both machines run Linux.

1. Install the network adapter device driver corresponding to your card.  You
do this by going through the control panel/add hardware or control
panel/system.

2. Configure the card from control panel/networking:  Assign the machine
identification, IP addresses, sub-net mask, etc.

3. A number of TCP/IP programs are distributed with Windows 95 OSR2 or
available from the Microshaft--Microsoft site.  They are also installed when
(God forbid) you put IE 4 in your machine.  Check these out:

C:/WINDOWS/telnet.exe
VT-100/VT-52 telnet client.  I use it to talk to my Linux server and other
machines all over the web.

C:/WINDOWS/tracert.exe
Console program.  Useful for tracing a connection to a given machine.  Assuming
that you have DNS, you can tell it things like:

[C:\tmp] tracert  cime.net

It will trace the hops you have between your current machine and the target
(i.e. in this case cime.net).  stdout can be redirected or piped.

C:/WINDOWS/ping.exe
Console program.  Similar to Linux ping.  stdout can be redirected or piped.
It resolves through DNS, WINS and canonical IP addresses.

C:/WINDOWS/WINIPCFG.EXE
Windows program.  This program shows your run-time IP configuration (adapter
address, IP, gateway, subnet mask) as well as a description of your current
network adapter and its capabilities (Ethernet, token ring, etc., manufacturer,
etc.)

Cheers!

Gena

Post by Lord Vor » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>     I was just wondering if there was any way of getting an X-Windows
> program to run from a Windows workstation - I have a lot of the same
> software installed on both machines for the different architectures, and
> would like to know if there is and X version of a terminal emulator for
> Windows, or something like that (possibly something that exported the
> Windows environment as an X-Windows server)?

You need an X-Server for Windows.  I personally use Starnet X-Win32 but
that's a commercial product.  A free one is the Micro-X server.

L8r,
L V

Post by Frank Ha » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I want to telnet from win95 to Linux.

>I have two ethernet cards which work fine when connected peer-to-peer and
>both machines run Linux.

>Now, how do I configure my card under windows for this use.
>Eventually I want to be able to run an X server under windows.

>Why is it that windows has to make things so user-complicated
>when all I had to do in Linux was build a new kernel with support for
>my card and install PCMCIA on the other computer???

I would suggest looking at the August 1997 issue of the Linux Gazette.
At least I think that is the issue.  There is a section called the
"Weekend Mechanic" that has a pretty good description of networking
two machines together.  One is a Linux machine and the other is a
Windows 95 machine.  It has several screen dumps from the Windows 95
side which helped me quite a bit.

--
Frank Hahn

Post by Nidge Jone » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> You need an X-Server for Windows.  I personally use Starnet X-Win32 but
> that's a commercial product.  A free one is the Micro-X server.

I have used Mirco-X for ages now, but what is the URL for Startnet. If it's
good, I don't mind paying !

--
Nidge Jones

1. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

Hi,
    I am trying to get X-Windows setup with an unknown
type of Cirrus Logic "SIIG" ISA graphics card. I only seem to get
some response when I set it up with Xconfigurator in 8-bit mode.
I am using Redhat 6.1 and KDE. The KDE desktop comes up
after a while. When I click on the Xterm icon, there is a delay,
the Xterm window comes up and just as it comes up, X-Windows
drops back to the Linux shell. There is a message:

QImage::color:Index out of range.

  What does this mean and how can I correct the problem.
   Is there any way that I can find out exactly what model
   of card that I have. There is a model number, but it does
   not look like anything related to what is in the Xconfigurator
   list nor on the SIIG site. The model is MVGA-AVGA3.
   I have a dual boot system and the card works with the Linux
   shell and Win95C with a resolution of 1024x768 and 16 bit
   hicolor.
                                                    Thanks
                                                                Mike

2. How to empty a file

4. SSL vs IPsec Sequence Numbers ??

5. get unix x-windows program to start microsoft windows program

6. Laptop "fn" keymapping (T1960CS)

7. : Install free X-Windows server on Windows NT Workstation 4.0

8. Firewall - what do I need?

9. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

10. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

11. Running FTP program from windows workstation using squid-2 on server

12. x-windows won't run programs

13. Which dail up best PPP program running on Redhat X-windows??