Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

Post by Dennis F. Mor » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a real problem with very slow NFS write performance from Linux
clients running Redhat 4.2, 5.0, and 5.1 to servers running NFS version
3.0.  The servers indicate that the Linux clients are mounted using NFS v2.
The servers I have are running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6 on both Intel and SPARC
hardware. Others have reported the same problem with Alpha servers running
Digital UNIX and NFS v3. My servers are all up to date on patches. The
network (Fast Ethernet) is not the problem as I have this problem on two
isolated networks at different locations. NFS read performance is normal.

I have increased the rsize and wsize to 8192, which doubled the performance,
and have played with every option I thought would help.  Now the writes are
only a factor of 10 times slower than FTP'ing the file and 6 times slower
than other clients running Solaris 2.5.1 and NFS v3 using TCP.

I'm getting desperate as everyone is screaming about the slow performance.
I'm hoping that someone has solved this problem. Surely I don't have to put
extra disks of home directories on these Linux boxes to be able to use NFS.
I just installed Redhat 5.1 hoping that would fix my problem, but its no
different. Why is it taking so long to add NFS version 3.0 protocols to
Linux?  It has been available from other vendors for well over a year. The
performance of version 3.0 using TCP is significantly faster than version
2.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will post a summary if I find a solution.

Denny Morse

Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

Post by Steffen Rheinhol » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

> Why is it taking so long to add NFS version 3.0 protocols to
> Linux?  It has been available from other vendors for well over a year. The
> performance of version 3.0 using TCP is significantly faster than version
> 2.

There isn't even a V2 implementation of NFS for Linux. No Lockdaemon, no
Statdaemon. Kernel 2.0.x has neither of them and runs NFS in userspace, which
slows down the performance, I think. Kernel 2.1.x has knfsd in Kernelspace with
very experimental lockd support. This runs faster, but not reliable (Had several
crashes). Unfortunately I can't see any NFS development at the moment, from my
point of view (Tell me if I'm wrong!)

cu, Steffen Rheinhold

1. Poor linux NFS client write performance

Hi,

I'm getting 1 to 2 MBytes/minute (Note: that's "minute", not "second")
performance writing files from linux NFS clients to various NFS servers.

I've got Intel and Alpha Linux boxes, running RedHat and Caldera.  Both
experience the same write performance. For NFS servers, I'm using an
Alpha running DUX and a Novell/Intel machine (don't snicker).

I've tried tweaking the NFS read/write block size, with some performance
improvement.  I've not found a way to modify the servers to allow async
writes... but I doubt that would be much of a performance enhancement
anyway.  I need at least a 200x improvement (and satisfactory 100BT
performance too) in order to justify supporting linux in our product
line.

I have other Alpha's running DUX, NetBSD, and OpenBSD & Suns running
Solaris that are also NFS clients in this same network.  They get
7+MBytes/sec performance writing to the NFS servers.  All the machines
are on the same 10BT LAN; no routers anywhere.

I only experience this problem with Linux.

Does anybody know of solutions?

What sort of performance should I expect from 10BT and 100BT networks?

Anybody else seen this problem?

Thanks,

Chris
--
  When I die, please cast my ashes upon Bill Gates
   --for once, let him clean up after me!

2. Tape compatibilty query

3. poor client-side NFS write performance

4. rotating logs

5. poor NFS client performance under linux?

6. MS-Windows 3.x running on ODT 2.0/3.0

7. NFS server on HP-UX 10.20 & NFS client on RH-5.2 : write permission ???

8. How to find modem connect speeds....

9. NFS client error : NFS write failed for server

10. Poor NFS client performance on AIX 4.3.3

11. Poor NFS client performance on 2.4.18?

12. Poor Solaris 2.6 NFS client performance

13. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio