Network is Unreachable

Post by Duan » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Using Linux 1.2.13, with a 3COM 509 card.  No TCPIP or networking
function seems to be working. I checked the rc.inet1 files, as well as
the /etc/hosts, and networks files.  These all seem to be correct. i can
not ping the device from another work-station.  I'm trying to figure out
what will tell me what the OS is seeing.  I ran netstat/-a/-r, but I'm
not sure what I'm looking for.  Trying to ping from the Linuxmachine
tells me the"Network is unreachable."

Any suggestions?

Duane Klein

Network is Unreachable

Post by Linas Vepsta » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Using Linux 1.2.13, with a 3COM 509 card.  No TCPIP or networking
> function seems to be working. I checked the rc.inet1 files, as well as
> the /etc/hosts, and networks files.  These all seem to be correct. i can
> not ping the device from another work-station.  I'm trying to figure out
> what will tell me what the OS is seeing.  I ran netstat/-a/-r, but I'm
> not sure what I'm looking for.  Trying to ping from the Linuxmachine
> tells me the"Network is unreachable."

Why don't you post what 'netstat -nr' reported?

Also what /sbin/ifconfig reports.  Post to the newsgroup.

Are you sure that 3com509 is supported in 1.2.13?  That's a
two and a half year old Linux kernel... features, functions
and support have come a long way in those years ...

--

Network is Unreachable

Post by Mikko K. Kuljuk » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Using Linux 1.2.13, with a 3COM 509 card.  No TCPIP or networking
>function seems to be working. I checked the rc.inet1 files, as well as
>the /etc/hosts, and networks files.  These all seem to be correct. i can
>not ping the device from another work-station.  I'm trying to figure out
>what will tell me what the OS is seeing.  I ran netstat/-a/-r, but I'm
>not sure what I'm looking for.  Trying to ping from the Linuxmachine
>tells me the"Network is unreachable."

Check if you have a route to nework in question with route command,
if not, you can add it with the same command, check 'man route'.
--

Windows: I can play Doom!               | Mikko Kuljukka
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web | tel: 0505972432

1. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"

I am having a problem getting my linux computer networked with my other
computers on my small network. While my other computers can ping each
other through tcp/ip, the linux box cannot ping the ip addresses of the
other computers, nor can they ping the linux box.

Setup:
    2 PCs running Win98
    1 PC running Redhat Linux 6.1
    Linux PC using LINKSYS EtherPCI LAN
    1 LINKSYS 5 port Hub
    file: conf.modules reads "alias eth0 ne2k-pci" (setup by Redhat
software upon discovering new hardware)

Symptoms:
1. Linux PC can ping itself, and it appears that the network card my be
setup properly (no error messages on loading).
2. When the Linux PC attempts to ping the other computers, it reports
that the network is unreachable.
3. The other computers can ping each other, but not the Linux PC.

Question:
1. How can I confirm that the Linux PC network setup is working from the
Linux box?
2. Should any computer that is setup for tcp/ip on the hub be able to
ping the other?
3. What is a good simple setup for IP addresses, DNS, etc.,  for a local
network?

----
Thanks, in advance.

-Hal

2. What is the best SCSI Tape Backup

3. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

4. Success

5. PCMCIA Network Card - Help! Network unreachable.

6. outb and inb, have there been any changes?

7. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

8. How to subnet a class-C?

9. ICMP Destination Unreachable (Host Unreachable) [**] [Solved!!!]

10. sendto: Network is unreachable...please help!

11. SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

12. Network unreachable - REPOST - Cat deleted answer

13. SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable