Cookies, Smashing them, How-to?

Post by graham bett » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

In the old days as a sufferer of Microsoft Wind-Uh-Ohs, I could easily find and
delete the
assorted ``cookies'' that would accumulate in the course of browsing the Web.
Now, as a fairly
recent and inexperienced Linux-user, I am not quite sure how to implement the
`find' command (or other) to locate and delete any accumulated `cookies'.

I would much appreciate anyone's help with this question.

        Thanks.  GRB.

--
This computer is run by LINUX,a free, open-source, multi-purpose |
alternative to Microsoft. For info. See http://www.linux.org or  |
Linux Journal at your library or bookstore.                      |
-----------------------------------------------------------------+
"This is what I see in my dreams about final exams:              |
 two monkeys, chained to the floor, sit on the windowsill,       |
 the sky behind them flutters, the sea is taking its bath.       |
 The exam is History of Mankind.                                 |
 I stammer and hedge.                                            |
 One monkey stares and listens with mocking disdain,             |
 the other seems to be dreaming away---                          |
 but when it's clear I don't know what to say                    |
 he prompts me with a gentle clinking of his chain."             |
 Brueghel's Two Monkeys---Wislawa Szymborska (C. Cavanagh,trans.)|
 from View With a Grain of Sand; Harcourt Brace & Co., 1995      |

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> In the old days as a sufferer of Microsoft Wind-Uh-Ohs, I could easily find and
> delete the
> assorted ``cookies'' that would accumulate in the course of browsing the Web.
> Now, as a fairly
> recent and inexperienced Linux-user, I am not quite sure how to implement the
> `find' command (or other) to locate and delete any accumulated `cookies'.

> I would much appreciate anyone's help with this question.

Better to avoid the problem in the first place.  Run "Internet Junkbuster"
(http://www.junkbusters.com) as a proxy.  It can manage cookies on a site-by-site
basis, block advertising, and more.

--

Cookies, Smashing them, How-to?

Post by Raymond Lillar » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[ ... ]

Quote:> To stop the insidious spread of cookies. Simply make a softlink to the
> bitbucket /dev/null from the cookie file. 'frinstance. in your netscape home
> dir (probably $HOME/.netscape) type

> ln -s /dev/null /a

> This will mean that any cookie written to the cookies file, will be redirected
> to the bit bucket. You don't have to deal with clicking no on a bunch of
> requestors, or being refused access because you refuse to accept cookies.

don't you mean:
   ln -s /dev/null cookies

Works for me.

Ray

Cookies, Smashing them, How-to?

Post by Jim Richards » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:50:21 -0600,

 brought forth the following words...:

Quote:>In the old days as a sufferer of Microsoft Wind-Uh-Ohs, I could easily find and
>delete the
>assorted ``cookies'' that would accumulate in the course of browsing the Web.
>Now, as a fairly
>recent and inexperienced Linux-user, I am not quite sure how to implement the
>`find' command (or other) to locate and delete any accumulated `cookies'.

>I would much appreciate anyone's help with this question.

>    Thanks.  GRB.

find / -name *cookie*

will find any file (that you have permission to read. ) with the word
cookie in the middle (or whole word.)
this would find cookies.html etc.

To stop the insidious spread of cookies. Simply make a softlink to the
bitbucket /dev/null from the cookie file. 'frinstance. in your netscape home
dir (probably $HOME/.netscape) type

ln -s /dev/null /a

This will mean that any cookie written to the cookies file, will be redirected
to the bit bucket. You don't have to deal with clicking no on a bunch of
requestors, or being refused access because you refuse to accept cookies.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

Cookies, Smashing them, How-to?

Post by Jim Richards » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:50:53 -0800,

 brought forth the following words...:

>[ ... ]
>> To stop the insidious spread of cookies. Simply make a softlink to the
>> bitbucket /dev/null from the cookie file. 'frinstance. in your netscape home
>> dir (probably $HOME/.netscape) type

>> ln -s /dev/null /a

>> This will mean that any cookie written to the cookies file, will be redirected
>> to the bit bucket. You don't have to deal with clicking no on a bunch of
>> requestors, or being refused access because you refuse to accept cookies.

>don't you mean:
>   ln -s /dev/null cookies

>Works for me.

>Ray

Ah, you see, the keyboard I was using at the time was configured for a unique
7 byte alphabet, where c o o k i e s comes out /a all fixed now :)

--

Post by Graha » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > In the old days as a sufferer of Microsoft Wind-Uh-Ohs, I could easily find and
> > delete the
> > assorted ``cookies'' that would accumulate in the course of browsing the Web.
> > Now, as a fairly
> > recent and inexperienced Linux-user, I am not quite sure how to implement the
> > `find' command (or other) to locate and delete any accumulated `cookies'.

> > I would much appreciate anyone's help with this question.

> Better to avoid the problem in the first place.  Run "Internet Junkbuster"
> (http://www.junkbusters.com) as a proxy.  It can manage cookies on a site-by-site
> basis, block advertising, and more.

> --

Yo! Gurus! To John, Jim---the proud Pagan (with ya there)---and Ray:

        Thanks to all of you for writing in response to my `Kill-Them-Cookies'
matter---and any others I may have missed.  Proof once again: we can all live
better E-Linux-ly.

[Tip-O-the-Day: enjoy the cool soundtrack to the movie `Amateur' a film by Hal
Hartley]

        GRB
--
This computer is run by LINUX,a free, open-source, multi-purpose |
alternative to Microsoft. For info. See http://www.linux.org or  |
Linux Journal at your library or bookstore.                      |
-----------------------------------------------------------------+
``So just be glad you live in America,                           |
Just relax and be yourself.                                      |
'Cause if you didn't live here in America,                       |
You probably live somewhere else...''                            |
[from: ``Good Guys & Bad Guys''                                  |
--Camper Van Beethoven (The 3rd Album)]                          |
[PITCH 02 CD] Pitch-A-Tent Records, Box 1253 Santa Cruz, 95061   |
distr. by Rough Trade Records                                    |
_________________________________________________________________+

1. My linux+Apache+mod_perl cannot recognize"print "Set-Cookie: cookie-name = Unique; "

Just solved the problem of not recognizing print "Content-type:
text/plain\n\n";
But another problem still exists.
When the perl script contains following lines:
     print "Set-Cookie: cookie-name = Unique; ";
     print "domain = .$baseurl; ";
     print "path = /; ";
     print "expires = Thursday, 11-Dec-2100 00:00:00 GMT\n";
It just print out these lines on the web.
Still the same script runs perfect under windows+apache+cygwin.
Please tell me how to change the httpd.conf file just as the last question.
Thank you very much.

2. Linux Versions ?

3. Can you log specific cookies with Apache %{cookie}i log format?

4. Kingston PCI KNE30BT Ethernet Card

5. %{Cookie}n vs. %{Cookie}i

6. FREE UNIX for 8086?

7. apache,cookie and denying access to those whithout the cookie set

8. Real Fix for Kermit on Solaris?

9. test SYN cookies (was Re: SYN cookies security bugfix?)

10. KDE Font Installer crashes, then smashes fonts

11. DVD smash-off anyone?!?

12. Crashing and smashing [HELP]

13. What IBM should do in the next 6 months to *SMASH* M$/INTEL !!!