How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)

How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)

Post by santa19992.. » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:06:33

I am looking for a tool which generates TCP/IP traffic (MAC address
lever and IP level) from the Linux machine. Basically I need to
generate L2 data for Bridge level and L3 data for Routing level. where
can I findout the tools, appreciated.

Post by Jose Maria Lopez Hernande » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:39:13

> I am looking for a tool which generates TCP/IP traffic (MAC address
> lever and IP level) from the Linux machine. Basically I need to
> generate L2 data for Bridge level and L3 data for Routing level. where
> can I findout the tools, appreciated.

hping2 can be useful to do this.

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

http://www.bgsec.com
ESPA?A

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                 -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)

Post by santa19992.. » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:56:55

Actually I made my old computer as Linux Router (One is for WAN port
and other one is for LAN port->connected to Switch to expand to connect
to 4 computers), I need to generate some traffic to test this Router. I
need to see the entries in the L2 table and L3 table.

Post by Jose Maria Lopez Hernande » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:36:50

> Actually I made my old computer as Linux Router (One is for WAN port
> and other one is for LAN port->connected to Switch to expand to connect
> to 4 computers), I need to generate some traffic to test this Router. I
> need to see the entries in the L2 table and L3 table.

You can use the usual tools to do pen-testing: hping2, nmap,
stick, nessus, hunt, etc. Any tool can be useful to generate
traffic. But I think hping2 is the best tool to generate IP
traffic, and hunt can be useful to send ARP traffic and the
like. I don't remember right now a tool to generate pure
ethernet packets.

And you can also get a capture of a network with ethereal or
tcpdump and then inject it in your LAN with tcpreplay.

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

http://www.bgsec.com
ESPA?A

like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                 -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

How can I generate TCP/IP traffic (L2 lever and L3 lavel)

Post by santa19992.. » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:35:24

I have a commercial Router (Router with 4 port switch), I would like to
take some benchmark results with Linux-box-Router Vs Commercial Router.
I would like to generate traffic with 'hping2' for both Routers on WAN
port side and let the traffic should switch to LAN ports, do I have to
enable connection tracking on my Linux-box-Router, I am using RH9.x, I
believe this supports in built Linux Router.

Post by Jose Maria Lopez Hernande » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:27:19

> I have a commercial Router (Router with 4 port switch), I would like to
> take some benchmark results with Linux-box-Router Vs Commercial Router.
> I would like to generate traffic with 'hping2' for both Routers on WAN
> port side and let the traffic should switch to LAN ports, do I have to
> enable connection tracking on my Linux-box-Router, I am using RH9.x, I
> believe this supports in built Linux Router.

If you want to take benchmarks maybe you can do it better generating
real traffic. A bunch of wget in parallel and things like
that. You can write some scripts with this kind of command line tools
to access networks to generate real traffic.

Regards.