Public Domain NIS/NFS that works with SGI's IRIX 5.3

Public Domain NIS/NFS that works with SGI's IRIX 5.3

Post by Robert Cauthe » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I realize this may be a very NAIVE question so be prepared ;-)....

Being a consultant, I have a need to bring my personal Silicon Graphics
Indy on site temporarily. I need to set the machine up as an NIS/NFS client.
It doesn't make sense for me to purchase this from SGI when the machine will
only be here for a short time.  Is there a "public domain" implementation of
NIS/NFS out there that will work with IRIX 5.3?  I heard from someone
that Linux has an NIS/NFS implementation (or is it JUST NFS)?  If so, is it
a separate package that can be compiled with SGI's compiler (or gcc) and be
used with IRIX?

Any help, tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading my post.
Bob Cauthen

Contractor for ISSC's AIX Support

Post by ChampionSOFT System Solutio » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I realize this may be a very NAIVE question so be prepared ;-)....

: Being a consultant, I have a need to bring my personal Silicon Graphics
: Indy on site temporarily. I need to set the machine up as an NIS/NFS client.
: It doesn't make sense for me to purchase this from SGI when the machine will
: only be here for a short time.  Is there a "public domain" implementation of
: NIS/NFS out there that will work with IRIX 5.3?  I heard from someone
: that Linux has an NIS/NFS implementation (or is it JUST NFS)?  If so, is it
: a separate package that can be compiled with SGI's compiler (or gcc) and be
: used with IRIX?

: Any help, tips or pointers would be appreciated.
: Thanks for reading my post.
: Bob Cauthen

: Contractor for ISSC's AIX Support

Probably not.  Usually, NFS support has to be compiled into
the kernel.  This makes it run faster than if it were implemented as
a userspace driver.  What this means is that most likely, you WILL
have to purchase an NFS license for Irix.

Chris Kaminski

Post by Jeremy DuBo » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

>: Hi,
>: I realize this may be a very NAIVE question so be prepared ;-)....
>: Being a consultant, I have a need to bring my personal Silicon Graphics
>: Indy on site temporarily. I need to set the machine up as an NIS/NFS client.
>: It doesn't make sense for me to purchase this from SGI when the machine will
>: only be here for a short time.  Is there a "public domain" implementation of
>: NIS/NFS out there that will work with IRIX 5.3?  I heard from someone
>: that Linux has an NIS/NFS implementation (or is it JUST NFS)?  If so, is it
>: a separate package that can be compiled with SGI's compiler (or gcc) and be
>: used with IRIX?
>: Any help, tips or pointers would be appreciated.
>: Thanks for reading my post.
>: Bob Cauthen

>: Contractor for ISSC's AIX Support
>Probably not.  Usually, NFS support has to be compiled into
>the kernel.  This makes it run faster than if it were implemented as
>a userspace driver.  What this means is that most likely, you WILL
>have to purchase an NFS license for Irix.

  The Linux NFS server *IS* a userspace implementation, and it will work on
IRIX (5.2 at least).  Haven't tested the speed against SGI's kernel
implementation (since I don't have it) , though I agree it'd probably turn out
to be faster.
  There isn't any Linux support for NIS that I know of.

--
                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                Programmer/System Administrator

Post by Paul 'Shag' Walmsl » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

Someone here on the comp.sys.sgi newsgroups has mentioned that he has
successfully gotten Linux's NFS server running on IRIX 5.  I think his

--

  "Praise and blame alike mean nothing." -- *ia Woolf

Post by Byron A Je » Sat, 27 May 1995 04:00:00

>  There isn't any Linux support for NIS that I know of.

Sure there is. Check out the NIS-HOWTO on sunsite.
Not sure if it works under IRIX however.

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

>: : Hi,

>: : I realize this may be a very NAIVE question so be prepared ;-)....

>: : Being a consultant, I have a need to bring my personal Silicon Graphics
>: : Indy on site temporarily. I need to set the machine up as an NIS/NFS client.

                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>: Probably not.  Usually, NFS support has to be compiled into
>: the kernel.  This makes it run faster than if it were implemented as
>: a userspace driver.  What this means is that most likely, you WILL
>: have to purchase an NFS license for Irix.

>Someone here on the comp.sys.sgi newsgroups has mentioned that he has
>successfully gotten Linux's NFS server running on IRIX 5.  I think his

Ehm, this guy is talking about the CLIENT side. An NFS client is usually
in the kernel (including Linux's one). And NIS support has to be in the
C library. So, without any major hackery, (which will cost more than just
buying the stuff from SGI for a one-time setup) it is impossible.

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg  +

Post by Dave Ols » Sun, 28 May 1995 04:00:00

| Being a consultant, I have a need to bring my personal Silicon Graphics
| Indy on site temporarily. I need to set the machine up as an NIS/NFS client.
| It doesn't make sense for me to purchase this from SGI when the machine will
| only be here for a short time.  Is there a "public domain" implementation of
| NIS/NFS out there that will work with IRIX 5.3?  I heard from someone
| that Linux has an NIS/NFS implementation (or is it JUST NFS)?  If so, is it
| a separate package that can be compiled with SGI's compiler (or gcc) and be
| used with IRIX?

The client NFS code has been shipped with every SGI system since
405H, at least.  You just have to bypass the check in /etc/init.d/network
to use it.  True, you don't get some of the bells and whistles,
but it *does* work.
--

The most beautiful things in the world | Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
are those from which all excess weight | http://reality.sgi.com/employees/olson

Post by Richard F. Mason » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

: in the kernel (including Linux's one). And NIS support has to be in the
: C library. So, without any major hackery, (which will cost more than just
: buying the stuff from SGI for a one-time setup) it is impossible.

C'mon ya' guys -- hackin' into the kernel ain't *that* hard.

Richard, who does it all the time.

Post by ale » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: : Any help, tips or pointers would be appreciated.
: : Thanks for reading my post.
: : Bob Cauthen

: : Contractor for ISSC's AIX Support

: Probably not.  Usually, NFS support has to be compiled into
: the kernel.  This makes it run faster than if it were implemented as

The Universal NFS Server 2.2 is a user-level program.

Best wishes,
Alex

CIS Labs, TEMPLE UNIVERSITY   WWW: http://bach.cis.temple.edu/personal/alex
Philadelphia, PA, USA

   PGP Key: 1024/ADF3EE95  Fingerprint: AB4FE7382C3627BC 6934EC2A2C05AB62

Unless otherwise stated, everything above is my personal opinion and not an
               opinion of any organisation affiliated with me.

1. tcsh on SGI irix 5.3 won't ^Z

Ok, anyone got any idea why tcsh version 6.07.02 won't ^Z job suspend
when compiled for SGI irix 5.3?  Everything _seems_ to compile ok,
but then it just won't ^Z...

Hmm... actually that's if I change the Makefile to use CC=cc.
If I leave it as CC=gcc I end up with:

  gcc  -c -I. -I.. -O sh.c
  In file included from sh.c:49:
  ed.h:210: field `d_ltc' has incomplete type

Huh... and the "Fixes" file claims that SGI fixes were included...

Department of Physics, Box 351560                B432 Physics-Astro Bldg
Univ. of Washington, Seattle WA 98195-1560                  206/616-2954

2. Sony Trinitron Multiscan CPD-1730 config file for linux

3. URGENT HELP: SGI UNIX IRIX 5.3 box won't boot ("cannot load /sash:)

4. using Linux+PPP instead of Compuserveā€²s Internet Dialer ?

5. Apache 1.1 on SGI IRIX 5.3

6. Highscreen Scanner at AHA1502

7. Sending printer control codes via lpr on SGI Irix 5.3

8. Fips problem...

9. Apache binary for SGI Irix 5.3

10. SGI IRIX 5.3 + Excite 1.1p1

11. compiled appache for sgi irix 5.3

12. I need a good C++ compiler for SGI/IRIX 5.3

13. SGI/IRIX 5.3 arp storms: