How to duplicate packets changing MAC address...

How to duplicate packets changing MAC address...

Post by lspin.. » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
a very hard problem (I re-post it):
How can I modify or set the Linux routing capabilities to route AND
duplicate certain packets, changing for example the destination MAC
address?
It's very important for backup reasons!

Thank you very much for any help or suggestion.

Ludwig

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

How to duplicate packets changing MAC address...

Post by Slavoj Hruska jr » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>a very hard problem (I re-post it):
>How can I modify or set the Linux routing capabilities to route AND
>duplicate certain packets, changing for example the destination MAC
>address?
>It's very important for backup reasons!

for taht reason is simpliest to switch target's ETH device on system where
you can backup comunication to promisc mode, and sniff data...

How to duplicate packets changing MAC address...

Post by Steve Housem » Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm no expert but I think that you would need to write your own
device driver to achieve this .... I cant help but think that you
are trying to fix this at too low a level ... maybe if you post
your actual (higher level) requirements then there maybe some
suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

1. Duplicate IPs PLUS duplicate MAC addresses, has this been done ?

Hi,
I'm living an installation nightmare at the moment.

We have a network of thin-client netstations with an RH5.1 proxy/bootp/nfs/everything server at it's center.

The netstations were all shipped out with identical MAC addresses, biiigg boo-boo. We've tried manually assigning different IPs to the stations, bypassing part of the requirement for a bootp server, but we're still running into problems when the proxy (squid BTW) is handling web traffic.

My question is, what if I assign the *same* IP address to each netstation ? They already have identical MAC addresses. I'm hoping the stations will start rejecting packets further up the IP stack, oops, wrong sequence number, bye-bye.
Obviously this will flog the network and the CPUs of the stations, but will it work ?

Or is there something magical in Linux I've overlooked that'll haul my ass out of the fire ?

JJ
<who looks rather fetching in flame proof underwear and is hoping to make a fashion statement>

2. sound play too fast! what's wrong?

3. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

4. Xaw library

5. Router: Duplicated MAC Address in 2.5.1

6. 3Com etherlink III PCI

7. help: duplicate MAC address

8. Diald problem

9. Duplicate mac addresses

10. Duplicate packets on every packet

11. "Packet filtering due to MAC address limitation" means?

12. Reject packets based on MAC address.

13. Filtering packets based on IP/MAC address