Fileserver Hardware

Post by Johannes Ni » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a 100GB RAID Array and want to build a file server
(NFS,Samba,rsync) for about 20 - 25 people from it, some of them doing
computing-intensive tasks. It seems we have a bit money for redundant
power supply. Backup facility is provided. Cost margin is about $1600.

What would you suggest would be currently the best repartition between
CPU speed, memory and rest of the hardware ? The thing should provide
much more storage in the next years, but not more users. It should
last about four years if possible.

I am thinking of an cheap Athlon-700MHz board, 512MB RAM, a fast UW
SCSI controller.

It could be also an dual Pentium board, but would it bring any
advantage ?

What is status of sensor control by Linux ? Do I need kernel patches ?

Johannes