2 NICs 1 machine. Totally lost.

Post by Dave Hostetle » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

eth0 will be a Digital 21040 (Thomas Conrad TC5048) 10baseT PCI PNP NIC
This is to get IP from the ADSL adapter and shove it through via IP
Masquerade to eth1, a cheap generic NE2000 compatible PCI PNP 10-100 NIC
to the other two machines on the network. both using 10-100 NICs. How do
I set up the dual NICs?  Also how do I set up the Red Hat linux client
to grab IP from the server?

2 NICs 1 machine. Totally lost.

Post by Daniell Free » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

For instructions on getting linux to see both nics you should look at the
Ethernet How-To.  Basically it involves putting a couple of lines in your
/etc/conf.modules file so that Linux knows to look for both Nics.  The How
TO has some specifics configuration notes for many Nics, so I would
reccomend looking at it.

For example, I have 2 Etherexpress 16 nics in my firewall at home.  To set
them up I added this to my /etc/conf.modules:

alias eth0 eexpress
alias eth1 eexpress
options eth0 -o eexpress-1 io=0x270 irq=3
options eth1 -o eexpress-2 io=0x300 irq=5

In my case I needed to put the -o eexpress-1 and -2 so that the eexpress
modules would load 2x under seperate names.  Since you have 2 different
Nics, you shouldn't have to have that option.

Daniell Freed
Computer Services
Dewitt, Ross, & Stevens SC

Quote:> eth0 will be a Digital 21040 (Thomas Conrad TC5048) 10baseT PCI PNP NIC
> This is to get IP from the ADSL adapter and shove it through via IP
> Masquerade to eth1, a cheap generic NE2000 compatible PCI PNP 10-100 NIC
> to the other two machines on the network. both using 10-100 NICs. How do
> I set up the dual NICs?  Also how do I set up the Red Hat linux client
> to grab IP from the server?

1. Totally new, totally lost in RedHat

Hi, I am just learning LINUX and about networking.  I really could use a
little bit of help.  I just installed RedHat 4.2 on a PC, and I am just
getting the hang of it.  But I don't seem to have it all down yet.

Thing is, I am really happy with the control panel in RedHat, I know it
has probably already saved me hours of setting up LINUX (eventually, I
will learn how to do things with out it, but for now its great).  And I
use the Network Configurer dialog boxes to set things up, and it seems to
work well, thing is, I don't know what I am doing still.

I simply entered a new interface in the "interfaces" dialog box to connect
to my service provider using a PPP connection, and that went really
smooth.  And I also used the "Names" dialog box to change the name of my
system, and that went smooth (locally).

I don't know where to go from here.  I can SEND mail from this system
routed up through my PPP connection, and the mail goes through.  I have
sent several test messages to friends, and they get mail that is from me

messages back.  Now, there is a routing problem some where, I realize
that, but I don't know how to fix it.

I tried adding a "Host" (using the "hosts" dialog box) to my sustem that
was my gateway to the outside world, that would be my PPP IP # for this
login, and I started to add an interface in the "routing" dialog box, but
I am not sure what I am suppose to enter, I got as far as specifing the
ppp0 connection, and in network address I put the IP for the routed PPP
connection (not sure if that was right), but I don't know what goes in the
"netmask" or "gateway" addresses (or even if this is what I need to be
doing).

As far as I have seen now, if I telnet to my .edu acount and login, I can
recieve mail from my local host, but not send it back.  I can run "finger"
from my .edu account and if I put in my local host I get "host not found"

at my local host (about 4 at the time, logged in 3 xterms as root, and one
as a user).

Now, if I can SEND mail from my local host, and I can finger the local IP#
for my PPP interface, why can't I send any mail back?

Do I have to register my local host somewhere and get an "offical" IP
address to set my system at?  Do I just pick one and hope it's not someone
elses?  What am I supposed to be doing here?  In the "Network
Configurator" box off the control panel, what do all these "Names,"
"Hosts," "Interfaces," and "Routing" really mean?  What should I have set
up in then to get to the point where I can send mail from another server
to my local host?

Thanks, you LINUX guys are soo great, I NEVER would have gotten this far
without all the help I have found in the comp.os.linux.* groups!  I am
learning a awsome new completly powerful OS and loving every second of it!

Rob

2. XGA-2 Xserver setup woes on an IBM PS/2

3. Scyld Beowulf - Totally Lost!

4. Setting DEC TULIP to use "FAST"

5. I can't see half the screen and Im totally lost!!

6. Announce: Plugin-based audio app: Mustajuuri

7. Please Help totally lost.

8. X -query and correct interface

9. HELP!!! Totally lost with LINUX

10. Dynamic SLIP networking, totally lost

11. Configuring firewall to totally disable any transfer of email attachments in/out for some machines

12. LOST LOST LOST

13. ISA NIC loses DHCP, PCI card doesnt , any info on this phen.