Syslog to remote host - how to set logging facility?

Syslog to remote host - how to set logging facility?

Post by XoF » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:17:49

Hi folks,

Is there anyone out there who knows how to set the logging facility of
syslog? I want to log certain kernelmessages of host A to a remotehost B.
On B all messages from A shall be stored in /var/log/A/messages. As far as
I know the only possibility to tell syslogd where to store certain messages
is the use of a local logging facility (e.g. LOCAL_0). But how can I
configure syslogd in that way, that all messages from host A use logging
facility LOCAL_0?
Or is there another way to get all messages from host A be written to
B:/var/log/A/messages?
I have read the man pages, but still have no clue about that prob....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

TIA

Bye
-XoF-

Syslog to remote host - how to set logging facility?

Post by OxyF » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:03:11

You will probably have to recompile the Kernel.

What you're asking is very nicely described in the TrinityOS. Just make a
search for it in any search engine.

OxyFx.

Quote:> Hi folks,

> Is there anyone out there who knows how to set the logging facility of
> syslog? I want to log certain kernelmessages of host A to a remotehost B.
> On B all messages from A shall be stored in /var/log/A/messages. As far as
> I know the only possibility to tell syslogd where to store certain
messages
> is the use of a local logging facility (e.g. LOCAL_0). But how can I
> configure syslogd in that way, that all messages from host A use logging
> facility LOCAL_0?
> Or is there another way to get all messages from host A be written to
> B:/var/log/A/messages?
> I have read the man pages, but still have no clue about that prob....

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

> TIA

> Bye
> -XoF-

1. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

Hi,
I see different syslog files under /var/log/
/var/log/syslog.0
/var/log/syslog.1

Could anyone tell me whats the difference between syslog.* files.Are
they differ based on timestamp or something else.
I mean for today's syslogs, system uses syslog.0, for tommorrow's
syslog it uses syslog.1,is it?

Thanks for your help,
pradeep.

2. tcsh help request....

3. syslog - logging from a remote host

4. fd0 mounting problem

5. Syslog not logging messages from remote devices/hosts

6. Driver for SCC Z85x30 Sync. Com. card

7. Syslog and remote device facility

8. AIX 4.1.4 and X Client

9. HP-UX problem setting facilities in syslog.conf

10. setting syslog facility for specific application

11. designing a remote logging facility

12. Option for logging pf log to a remote host?

13. syslog on remote host