DHCP and forwarding

Post by void4ev » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 05:04:15

Ok  i'll tell ya flat out, im no linux master, but im not a complete
newbie either. Ok with that said

I want to use my linux box as a DHCP server and router for my internal
network.
What i know :
need 2 network cards
will need to re-compile my kernel

What i don't know:
what exactly do i need to do all this, in terms of IP forwarding and
stuff like that. I want my machines behind the linux box to be able to
host FTP server, and IRC, ICQ, possibliy a unreal game or two. :)

I'm a little hazy on what i need to compile into the kernel, if
someone could give me a list that would be wonderful.
I've already looked at a lot of the docs on all this, but they are all
really general, and i just need a set list if thats possible.
I'm running redhat 7.1, if you think another flavor would be better
suited for something like what i want to do i'm all ears.
Thanx in advance!

Void4ever

DHCP and forwarding

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:43:40

Hi!,

Quote:> Ok  i'll tell ya flat out, im no linux master, but im not a complete
> newbie either. Ok with that said

> I want to use my linux box as a DHCP server and router for my internal
> network.
> What i know :
> need 2 network cards
> will need to re-compile my kernel

> What i don't know:
> what exactly do i need to do all this, in terms of IP forwarding and
> stuff like that. I want my machines behind the linux box to be able to
> host FTP server, and IRC, ICQ, possibliy a unreal game or two. :)

> I'm a little hazy on what i need to compile into the kernel, if
> someone could give me a list that would be wonderful.
> I've already looked at a lot of the docs on all this, but they are all
> really general, and i just need a set list if thats possible.
> I'm running redhat 7.1, if you think another flavor would be better
> suited for something like what i want to do i'm all ears.

A kernel recompile should not be necessary for what you are trying to do.  I
would suggest that you look over some of the previous messages in the archives
to see how IP forwarding is done (I know I have posted the steps a number of
times for Redhat 7.1).  As for DHCP I would go to the http://www.isc.org site
and get the latest DHCP server/client.

I would then go to the DHCP-HOWTO/Mini-HOWTO which is located at
http://www.linuxdoc.org.  This should put you in the right direction.  You may
want to use a socks 5 server for ICQ however.

See ya

Dean Thompson