Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

Post by Ed Tro » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a network consisting of several Linux machines and one Windows
2000 machine. This network is tied together using Samba, and one of the
Linux machines has a modem on it that connects my network to my isp. My
problem is this:
If I try to connnect to an external machine using ftp on the Windows
2000 machine, I can get connected, but when it goes to open the
directory on the remote location, I get a message "Port 192.168.0.2,6,85

500 Illegal Port command
!Failed "retrieve remote file list"
unable to retrieve remote file list

I've tried several ftp programs, including command line ftp, and I get
the same, or similar results. (192.168.0.2 is my Windows 2000 machine) I
can connect to remote ftp sites if I run ftp on any of the Linux boxes.
Does anybody know what the problem is, or if there is any fix? I've
tried to connect to many different sites, and I get the same problems.

TIA,
Ed

Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

Post by Steve Housem » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> If I try to connnect to an external machine using ftp on the Windows
> 2000 machine, I can get connected, but when it goes to open the
> directory on the remote location, I get a message "Port 192.168.0.2,6,85
> 500 Illegal Port command
> !Failed "retrieve remote file list"

obviously the nt ftp client is giving a PORT cmd with its internal
ip which is a private one and the server does not recognise it.
The rfc 959 says this cmd is not normally needed.
Presumably for linux ftp, this is not done - must use defaults.

Maybe there are some flags to give your client to stop it doing that?

Obviously it can be done from your linux boxes and then copied across
using samba/nfs rcopy/rdist or whatever... but not what you want.

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net