Trying to setup firewall on linux box with two network cards, cards are not configuring correctly

Trying to setup firewall on linux box with two network cards, cards are not configuring correctly

Post by Wayn » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:50:13

I am setting up a firewall with latest version of redhat 9. The box
has two network cards with static IPs, one has one IP other has 3 IP
address using aliasing.

eth1   (192.168.0.214)
eth0   (192.168.254.211)
eth0:0 (192.168.254.212)
eth0:1 (192.168.254.213)

After reboot, both cards are detected and brought up, when trying to
ping either side from the firewall (coming back destination
unreachable)

      Network-----X-----Linux-----X-----Laptop

Also can not ping from either side to firewall (coming back time
outs).

When down one network card and bring up other again, can ping that
side. Bring up other card again and can not ping anything!

Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:10:19

>I am setting up a firewall with latest version of redhat 9. The box
>has two network cards with static IPs, one has one IP other has 3 IP
>address using aliasing.

>eth1   (192.168.0.214)
>eth0   (192.168.254.211)
>eth0:0 (192.168.254.212)
>eth0:1 (192.168.254.213)

>After reboot, both cards are detected and brought up, when trying to
>ping either side from the firewall (coming back destination
>unreachable)

>      Network-----X-----Linux-----X-----Laptop

>Also can not ping from either side to firewall (coming back time
>outs).

>When down one network card and bring up other again, can ping that
>side. Bring up other card again and can not ping anything!

>Any help would be appreciated.

What does your route table look like?  Post the results of
doing "route -n".  You might do this with both cards up,
and then again with one card down.

Also you aren't being clear on just where you are trying to
ping from.  Is this on the Linux box or on the Laptop?

Is IP forwarding enabled?  How is iptables configured?

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

1. Can't get linux box to work as firewall Network cards not configuring correctly

I am setting up a firewall with latest version of redhat 9. The box
has two network cards with static IPs, one has one IP other has 3 IP
address using aliasing.

eth1   (192.168.0.214)
eth0   (192.168.254.211)
eth0:0 (192.168.254.212)
eth0:1 (192.168.254.213)

After reboot, both cards are detected and brought up, when trying to
ping either side from the firewall (coming back destination
unreachable)

      Network-----X-----Linux-----X-----Laptop

Also can not ping from either side to firewall (coming back time
outs).

When down one network card and bring up other again, can ping that
side. Bring up other card again and can not ping anything!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. info about updating FreeBSD 4.5 to FreeBSD 4.6

3. Linux Box, Win98 box, Two Network cards, Now What?

4. tcsh on ALPHA, compile problems

5. Help me please configuring second network card for router/firewall

6. linker mapfile

7. (2) 3C905B-TX cards in one linux box not detecting speed correctly

8. Linux 2.2.9 patches broke ISDN?

9. How to setup a Linux Box as a gateway/firewall between two networks?

10. Firewall setup and two network cards PLEASE HELP

11. connecting two linux boxes without network card?

12. Two network cards on linux box

13. Configuring two network cards with linux...