Browse IP OK, but name fails

Post by Systems Engineering Gro » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a nameserver problem with Linux/SOCKS.  Would
someone please offer guidance?   I have already checked
the Howtos, the manuals, and specific altavista searches.

Using W95 Netscape4 or IE4 with SOCKS, I can http://IP.NUMBER/,
even external IP numbers anywhere on the web, but I get
an error with http://HOST.NAME/, even specifying my
local machine's name and others from /etc/hosts.

I assume there's something simple wrong...

Here's the setup:

My Linux box (slackware 2.0.27, soon to be 2.0.34)
connects to an ISP, and can see and be seen by
external sites.  Win95 intranet PCs  (192.168.2.xxx)
can telnet in and be pinged.  I have installed
SOCKS 4.2b to use the box as a proxy server to support
socksified applications.

The box has a local IP address 192.168.2.1,
and a static IP address, denoted by   mybox.myISP.net
and ISP nameserver denoted by  dns.myISP.net

On the W95 PC, I enabled DNS, specifying dns.myISP.net
as name server, and configured Netscape4 and IE4 to use
SOCKS pointing to 192.168.2.1  socket 1080, which is
specified in /etc/services.

Some config files are:

------
sockd.conf:
    permit 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
    deny    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

socks.conf:
    direct 127.0.0.1  255.255.255.0
    direct 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

resolv.conf
    nameserver dns.myISP.net

------
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

- R. Levene

Browse IP OK, but name fails

Post by Yon Han CHON » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have a nameserver problem with Linux/SOCKS.  Would
> someone please offer guidance?   I have already checked
> the Howtos, the manuals, and specific altavista searches.

> Using W95 Netscape4 or IE4 with SOCKS, I can http://IP.NUMBER/,
> even external IP numbers anywhere on the web, but I get
> an error with http://HOST.NAME/, even specifying my
> local machine's name and others from /etc/hosts.

> I assume there's something simple wrong...

> Here's the setup:

> My Linux box (slackware 2.0.27, soon to be 2.0.34)
> connects to an ISP, and can see and be seen by
> external sites.  Win95 intranet PCs  (192.168.2.xxx)
> can telnet in and be pinged.  I have installed
> SOCKS 4.2b to use the box as a proxy server to support
> socksified applications.

> The box has a local IP address 192.168.2.1,
> and a static IP address, denoted by   mybox.myISP.net
> and ISP nameserver denoted by  dns.myISP.net

> On the W95 PC, I enabled DNS, specifying dns.myISP.net
> as name server, and configured Netscape4 and IE4 to use
> SOCKS pointing to 192.168.2.1  socket 1080, which is
> specified in /etc/services.

> Some config files are:

> ------
> sockd.conf:
>     permit 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
>     deny    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

> socks.conf:
>     direct 127.0.0.1  255.255.255.0
>     direct 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

> resolv.conf
>     nameserver dns.myISP.net

The nameserver's address has to be the number address.

Yon Han CHONG                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext. 5420

Cranfield University              | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149
United Kingdom                    | Mobile: + 44 958 381 395

1. Ping = OK, Name Resolution = Failed !!!

I have tried to install 2 distributions of Linux. Both of them give me an
hard time with name resolution.

Caldera OpenServer 3.1.1
and
Mandrake 9.0

I try to go on the web and I am only able to ping hosts. The name resolution
(dns or named) and proxy (squid) are installed but seams not working. If I
use my Windows 2000 box it works fine! I have tried the DNS forwarders
directly to the ISP DNS without succes.

Setup:
PC with linux installed eth0 as the only network card.
Nexland Router/Firewall connected at modem cable.

Any ideas...this box will be used as mailserver, ftp and webserver.

Thanks
ANormand

2. GUI 800x600 probs.

3. nslookup OK, name resol. !OK

4. SCSI - Fail to find host error

5. Can't resolve DNS names, IP addresses OK

6. Newbie Alert

7. Masq boxes ok, router can't resolve names to ip

8. Wolf3d->Linux

9. Name resolution - ping ok, ftp not ok

10. Ping by IP fails, Ping by name works???

11. nslookup ok but can't ping (or net browse)

12. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

13. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!