telnetting & international character sets

telnetting & international character sets

Post by Frank Joerden » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

When telnetting from one Linux box to another I cannot get the
international characters to work properly. When logged in at the console
on either box, I can display those characters just fine (German
umlauts), but not in a telnet session. How do you control this behaviour
with the Linux telnet program?

Many thanks,

Frank

Post by Frank da Cr » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

: When telnetting from one Linux box to another I cannot get the
: international characters to work properly. When logged in at the console
: on either box, I can display those characters just fine (German
: umlauts), but not in a telnet session. How do you control this behaviour
: with the Linux telnet program?
:
Different computers and applications can use different encodings for the
same characters.  Most Telnet clients do not care about this, and so your
Umlaute turn into Abf?lle.

It can even happen between two Linuxes, in which the local encoding might
be (say) PC Code Page 850, but the xterm window uses ISO 8859-1 Latin
Alphabet 1.

Use a telnet client that knows about character sets, such as C-Kermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck70.html

If my guess about the character sets was correct, you would give it these
commands:

  eightbit
  set terminal character-set cp850 latin1
  telnet <hostname>

This means: use 8-bit data paths between the two computers, convert
between CP850 on the remote computer and Latin-1 on the local one, and
make a Telnet connection from the local to the remote.

- Frank

1. International character sets in Netscape/Aix?

   Does anyone know why cant we use international (swedish) characters
in stock Netscape Communicator 4.x (from ftp.netscape.com) installed in
a stock Ibm Aix 4.3.2 or later? This thing is driving me crazy. And if i
install Ibm Netscape 4.7i, it works dont ask me why. I tried changing
netscape startup scripts, preferences, everything .. no good.

Pedro Rodrigues

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. IBM Office Professional 500 UPS

3. UNIX and international character sets

4. Projects in linux TCP/IP stuff:

5. Printing International Character Sets

6. questions about switching to Linux

7. Apache 1.3.9 and International Character Sets..

8. HELP: Linux bootup freezes before INIT!

9. bash & ASCII > 128, international characters

10. man page character set problem over telnet

11. Any advice on alternate character set over telnet?

12. telnet character by character

13. telnet line-by-line to character-by-character