Ping from Linux to Win9x/WinNT

Post by Ba Kwo » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi!  Linux is new to me.  I've a Linux PC (Caldera eDesktop 2.4), 1
WinNT and 2 Win9x PCs on my network.  I can ping from any Windows PC to
Linux PC, but I cannot ping from the Linux to any Windows PC.  Any idea
what I may be missing on my Linux PC?  Thanks.

Ping from Linux to Win9x/WinNT

Post by extern.patrick.them.. » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi!  Linux is new to me.  I've a Linux PC (Caldera eDesktop 2.4), 1
> WinNT and 2 Win9x PCs on my network.  I can ping from any Windows PC
> Linux PC, but I cannot ping from the Linux to any Windows PC.  Any
idea
> what I may be missing on my Linux PC?  Thanks.

ping by name or ping by adress?
if both dont work, suspect routing.
we need your netstat -r for more info.
if first doesnt work but second does,
your /etc/hosts file needs updating.
if first works but second does not,
now that would really surprise me.

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi!  Linux is new to me.  I've a Linux PC (Caldera eDesktop 2.4), 1
>WinNT and 2 Win9x PCs on my network.  I can ping from any Windows PC to
>Linux PC, but I cannot ping from the Linux to any Windows PC.  Any idea
>what I may be missing on my Linux PC?  Thanks.

Perhaps you haven't defined your default route to Linux.
What does the 'route' command show as the default? Is it set correctly
for the lan segment on which the Linux box resides?

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

1. WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux

I work at a university and are regularly upgrading PC's in the departments I
support.  The offices we support the PC's are used by staff and are not
student labs. We currently are running Windows 95 on most PCs, a few with
Windows 98, and fewer with Windows NT.   Most of our users just require the
basics; word processing, spread sheets, web browser, and email.  Since we
use PeopleSoft some of our users need Excel.  We are now trying to decide
what might be the best path for the future.  We had talked about going,
eventually, to Windows 2000, but now are looking at Linux for the basic
users.  If we decide on 2000 should be ordering NT now to make the upgrade
easier or is 98 better?   Is Linux better than either one with maybe the
ones needing Excel staying with Windows?   Any suggestions or insights will
be welcome.
Thank you,
Kayla Kittleson

2. Best Cigars

3. x Client for Win3.11/DOS/Win9x/WinNT??

4. Kazaa on Windows was a bad experience

5. WinNT under Linux or Linux under WinNT (was Re: Emulator for IMB)

6. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

7. Linux and W98SE / Ping Linux from W98SE NOT working but can Ping W98SE from Linux

8. fork() vs threads

9. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

10. W98 can ping Linux; Linux can't ping W98??

11. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

12. Linux Dummy - Accessing Win9x/NT W/Stations on a LAN from Linux

13. Can ping linux itself, but can't ping others