Hardware address/arp question

Post by Phillip M » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am a little confused on setting up a hard-ware address for arp.
I am using an ethernet at 10,0x300 eth0, and have setup a lan with
2 computers on it.  Linux main box is 10.0.0.1 and the windows box
is 10.0.0.2.
I can telnet over to linux, but would like to setup netscape to
test out my apache server.  Even though it won't connect thru it to
the internet, it would be nice to just see how the web page looks,
and see that the Web server comes up.  I assume I would have to use
the arp, and put in my hostname into the table?  I have the linux
bible to guide me, if I am even on the right track.  And when you
use the arp -s command I am confused on how to set the hardware
address.  The linux bible doesn't explain it enough for me to
understand, could someone guide me along? Thanks

--

MauComm-(508)583-6728
Brockton, MA

1. 4.0 arp: unknown hardware address format (0800)

After upgrading my system from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-STABLE, I keep getting
the following messages in syslog:
"arp: unknown hardware address format (0800)"

It's particularly annoying because, when I run dmesg, the arp messages
don't have linefeeds after them, so the next syslog message appears on
the same line (ick).  What could be causing these notices, and how do I
fix it?

Note: I'm running on a large, mostly windows-based network, using dhcp
to get my IP.  I don't have any other network-related issues,
everything's working great besides these periodic syslog messages.

Thanks!
--

:Windows: Where do you want to go today?
:Linux:   Where do you want to go tomorrow?

2. 3C509 Combo

3. arp -a shows only one address, what version of arp?

4. Yet another RedHat 6.1 upgrader seeking advice...

5. ARP: arp called for own IP address HELP

6. SMP

7. kernel: ARP: arp called for own IP address

8. Howto fix bad blocks on ReiserFS

9. ARP: arp called for own IP address

10. arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address 169.254.139.156!

11. arp question - "arp who-has" problem

12. Finding the ip address and hardware (ethernet) address of client behind a gateway

13. Hardware address and IP address - Beginner