Telnet from certain sites broken...

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by Paul Arche » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00



I have a linux box at home connected to the net via my ISP (io.com).
When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

$telnet 199.170.92.12
Trying 199.170.92.12...
Connected to 199.170.92.12.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

I don't have anything in my hosts.allow or hosts.deny files, and my work
machine is in my hosts file. My inetd.conf file has what appears to be a
normal entry for telnet:
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

I'm fresh out of ideas. Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea
what might be going on?

BTW, this Linux machine is a pretty much stock install of the latest
Slackware distribution.

Thanks for any help,

Paul Archer

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
it said "Requires Windows 95 or better".  So I installed Linux.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by Jeffrey D. Cart » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00



>I have a linux box at home connected to the net via my ISP (io.com).
>When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
>can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
>box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

>$telnet 199.170.92.12
>Trying 199.170.92.12...
>Connected to 199.170.92.12.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

>I don't have anything in my hosts.allow or hosts.deny files, and my work
>machine is in my hosts file. My inetd.conf file has what appears to be a
>normal entry for telnet:
>telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
>I'm fresh out of ideas. Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea
>what might be going on?

This ought to be FAQ. This is tcpd refusing the connection because it
doesn't like something about the far end (your work machine). Most likely
a reverse-DNS lookup failure. From the linux box, do an "nslookup" on
the name of your Solaris box. You should get an IP number back. Then do
an nslookup on the IP number (actually a reverse lookup...) and it should
give you back the same info. If you really don't want to use hosts.allow
and hosts.deny, you can take out tcpd and run in.telnetd directly, thereby
avoiding this problem.

Jeff Carter


 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by Brian McCaule » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
> can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
> box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

> $telnet 199.170.92.12
> Trying 199.170.92.12...
> Connected to 199.170.92.12.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

> I don't have anything in my hosts.allow or hosts.deny files, and my work
> machine is in my hosts file. My inetd.conf file has what appears to be a
> normal entry for telnet:
> telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

> I'm fresh out of ideas. Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea
> what might be going on?

Rather than asking "Has anyone seen this before?" why not do a
dejanews search?  I'm sure I've answered this in the last few weeks.

From what I've read, if tcpd was compiled with the "PARANOID" option
then it will never allow connections from machines with broken DNS
entries even if the hosts.* files allow all clients.

If my diagnosis is correct then you must one of the following:

  Stop using tcpd
  Recompile it without the PARANOID option
  Fix then DNS entry for you Solaris box.

--

 .  _\\__[oo       from       | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

.  l___\\    /~~) /~~[  /   [ | PGP-fp: D7 03 2A 4B D8 3A 05 37...
 # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://wcl-l.bham.ac.uk/~bam/

 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by David Hoelz » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00


You may be the victim of a broken in.telnetd..  There is a documented
bug related to the /etc/termcap file..  If there is no entry for the
terminal type that your telnet client reports, the in.telnetd may dump
core (check in / for a core file)..


Quote:>I have a linux box at home connected to the net via my ISP (io.com).
>When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
>can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
>box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

>$telnet 199.170.92.12
>Trying 199.170.92.12...
>Connected to 199.170.92.12.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>Connection closed by foreign host.

>I don't have anything in my hosts.allow or hosts.deny files, and my work
>machine is in my hosts file. My inetd.conf file has what appears to be a
>normal entry for telnet:
>telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

>I'm fresh out of ideas. Has anyone seen this before, or have any idea
>what might be going on?

>BTW, this Linux machine is a pretty much stock install of the latest
>Slackware distribution.

>Thanks for any help,

>Paul Archer

>--
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
>it said "Requires Windows 95 or better".  So I installed Linux.
>---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by Paul Arche » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00


This was it exactly. I changed my TERM setting and got right in.

Thanks a lot!

Paul Archer


> You may be the victim of a broken in.telnetd..  There is a documented
> bug related to the /etc/termcap file..  If there is no entry for the
> terminal type that your telnet client reports, the in.telnetd may dump
> core (check in / for a core file)..

> >I have a linux box at home connected to the net via my ISP (io.com).
> >When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
> >can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
> >box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

> >$telnet 199.170.92.12
> >Trying 199.170.92.12...
> >Connected to 199.170.92.12.
> >Escape character is '^]'.
> >Connection closed by foreign host.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------------
On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
it said "Requires Windows 95 or better".  So I installed Linux.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by Louis Romer » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00


Please tell me what you did!

        I have the same problem.  When I try to telnet to my linux box, I am
not allowed to login.  I have consulted with a fellow who gave me the
exact same advice, to remove tcpd and run in.telnetd directly.  
        However, If just I can just do what you did then I can keep tcpd.  did
you use "stty term=vt100" or is it another configuration that you
changed.


> This was it exactly. I changed my TERM setting and got right in.

> Thanks a lot!

> Paul Archer


> > You may be the victim of a broken in.telnetd..  There is a documented
> > bug related to the /etc/termcap file..  If there is no entry for the
> > terminal type that your telnet client reports, the in.telnetd may dump
> > core (check in / for a core file)..


> > >I have a linux box at home connected to the net via my ISP (io.com).
> > >When I try to telnet into the linux box from a shell account on my ISP, I
> > >can get in fine. But when I try to telnet from my work account (on a Solaris
> > >box), I connect, I get the message below every time:

> > >$telnet 199.170.92.12
> > >Trying 199.170.92.12...
> > >Connected to 199.170.92.12.
> > >Escape character is '^]'.
> > >Connection closed by foreign host.

> --
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
> it said "Requires Windows 95 or better".  So I installed Linux.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Telnet from certain sites broken...

Post by ram.. » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00




[snip]

Quote:>    However, If just I can just do what you did then I can keep tcpd.  did
>you use "stty term=vt100" or is it another configuration that you
>changed.

bash/ksh/ash:
TERM=vt100;export TERM

csh/tcsh:
setenv TERM vt100;set term=vt100

[snippage]

Also, there's some sites that insist on naming their systems:

mail_host.foo.com
station_1.foo.com
station_2.foo.com
etc.

Underscores aren't allowed in the hostname.  If all the previously posted
ideas didn't work, check on that.

-- DN

 
 
 

1. Block certain 'telnet site'

Does anyone know of anyway to block certain telnet site command? This
would not enable the local user to telnet to another site. Please reply by
Email.

Thank
Nghi~a (Nick)
_________________________________________________________________________
\    What I don't know, I attend learn.    |        ///,        ////    /
/       What I know, I attend forget.      |        \  /,      /  >.    \
\                                          |        \  /,   _/  /.      /
/                  /(o\                    |        \_  /_/   /.        \
\                  \o)/                    |         \__/_   <          /
/__________________________________________|         /<<< \_\_          \
\           Nghi~a Van Nguye^~n            |        /,)^>>_._ \         /

\     URL http://152.8.244.4/~nghia/       |             // ````        /

_________________________________________________________________________

2. Mounting NTFS partitions

3. Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

4. SMCC 4.2 gig MultiPack problems

5. telnets/rlogins break under certain conditions

6. Gaming Laptop Recommendations

7. Telnets/rlogins breaks under certain conditions

8. nprint will not print, but nwsfind works

9. How to ban certain sites from sending mail to my site?

10. Howto drop packets from sites which exhibit certain behavior

11. Q: NoLog for certain site(Apache 1.3.0)

12. RH 7.2 w/ 2.4.14 kernel, can't access certain web sites

13. How do I restrict site users acces to certain folders