Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Jon W. Backstr » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have a PS/2 Model 80 (microchannel bus, of course) that might make
a good Linux box, but I don't have any networking cards or multiport
serial capabilities in the machine.  The system is a slow '386, but
it does have a good SCSI controller and 14Mb of memory.

If anyone is happily running Linux on a microchannel system, *please*
offer me some advice on what Ethernet board I might wish to buy that
has proper kernel support (anything that might work with the Slackware
3.0 distribution would be best).  Also I would like advice on a
multi-port serial board for this system (4 or 8 serial ports for PPP
or SLIP dialin) and what software will I need to support it under
Linux?

Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?

Jon Backstrom
--

Iowa State Univeristy

Post by Ravi Krishna Swa » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have a PS/2 Model 80 (microchannel bus, of course) that might make
>a good Linux box, but I don't have any networking cards or multiport
>serial capabilities in the machine.  The system is a slow '386, but
>it does have a good SCSI controller and 14Mb of memory.

>If anyone is happily running Linux on a microchannel system, *please*
>offer me some advice on what Ethernet board I might wish to buy that
>has proper kernel support (anything that might work with the Slackware
>3.0 distribution would be best).  Also I would like advice on a
>multi-port serial board for this system (4 or 8 serial ports for PPP
>or SLIP dialin) and what software will I need to support it under
>Linux?

>Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?

The last I heard there is still no support for the MCA bus
and I doubt there ever will be.

Ravi
--
Ravi K. Swamy                http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rkswamy/www/

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Yann Stettle » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???
>Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
>running on at least one MCA machine.

Great ! (The last time I had a MCA computer, there was only kernel
1.2.0 ...)

Cheers,
Yann S.

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Christophe Beaurega » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?
>Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???

Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
running on at least one MCA machine.

c.

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Juergen Web » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>   If anyone is happily running Linux on a microchannel system, *please*

I am not, but look in the hard-ware faq  or howto for pointers to mca linux.

Quote:>   offer me some advice on what Ethernet board I might wish to buy that

--
Juergen G. Weber
Student am Institut fuer Informatik; University of Stuttgart - Germany

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Tom Johns » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

MCA is now suppoted.  get ps2scsi.tar.gz off a Sunsite mirror.

Anyone know of the MCA Enet card 3com 3c523 will be suppoted now?  Not
much point in running linux on a machine that can't network :/

: >>Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?
:
: >Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???
:
: Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
: running on at least one MCA machine.
:
: c.

--
___________________            ___   __            __________________________
Tom Johnson                   |   \ |  |           Netscape 2.0 for X11

IT Consultant                 |  |\    |           TSS, INT
-------------------           |__| \___|           --------------------------

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Christophe Beaurega » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone know of the MCA Enet card 3com 3c523 will be suppoted now?  Not
>much point in running linux on a machine that can't network :/

It's still kinda alpha, but I've been using mine for a couple months now
without any trouble (other than when I'm debugging it).  See
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~cpbeaure/mca-linux/3c523.html

c.

Post by rodney d slo » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>>Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?
>>Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???
>Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
>running on at least one MCA machine.

Hum.  Is that the first kernel that will run on microchannel? When did this
start?

--
Rodney Daryl Slone             http://www.engr.uky.edu/~rdslon01
Electrical Engineering Grad Student / "Grounds are pretty common." - me

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Mike Smi » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Yes there is an MCA port available for SCSI and ESDI

Cheers,  MIke.

Post by Christophe Beaurega » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>>Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???

>>Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
>>running on at least one MCA machine.

>Hum.  Is that the first kernel that will run on microchannel? When did this
>start?

I guess the first kernel that was patched for MCA was 0.99.  That was
some kind of ST-506 driver.  Then came the ESDI/Token-Ring stuff,
around 1.1.4x.  A 1.1.8 kernel became the standard MCA distribution.
Currently, we're mostly using a patched 1.2.13.  The 1.3.59 is my
development kernel.  To confuse matters further, some MCA machines can
run a SCSI kernel without any modifications.

Contrary to what the FAQ says, Linux can run on MCA, and has been for
about two or three years.  It just hasn't been integrated into the
standard kernel.  Why?  Beats me.

What amuses me the most is people who _insist_ that Linux can't run on
MCA, and never can because it's a different architecture.  One could say
that about the Amiga, and be equally wrong.

c.

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by Axel Bold » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Ravi> The last I heard there is still no support for the MCA bus
Ravi> and I doubt there ever will be.

MCA has been supported for quite a while, it just never made it into
the offical kernel source. Check out
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~cpbeaure/mca-linux.html

Axel

Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

Post by a.. » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Dear Yann,

I just started this mca path, it's getting documented as I go, there is an
image, but get my new instructions, use qconfig to get the esdi drive geometry,
and there are some other changes if you really want to make this work (ie the
easy way instead of a month of work I have put into it... it took me 3 weeks
to get a working system, with a little advice you can do this in about 1 day).

s:

>MCA is now suppoted.  get ps2scsi.tar.gz off a Sunsite mirror.

>Anyone know of the MCA Enet card 3com 3c523 will be suppoted now?  Not
>much point in running linux on a machine that can't network :/

>: >>Any advice or positive experiences with hardware for MicroChannel?
>:
>: >Is Linux running at all with a MicroChannel architecture anyway ???
>:
>: Let me check my machine...Yup, Linux 1.3.59 prompt.  I guess it's
>: running on at least one MCA machine.
>:
>: c.

>--
>___________________            ___   __            __________________________
>Tom Johnson                   |   \ |  |           Netscape 2.0 for X11

>IT Consultant                 |  |\    |           TSS, INT
>-------------------           |__| \___|           --------------------------

Sincerely,

J.C. Tobin

Inacom
Malvern, PA
Work - 610/889-3220 .. x181

Post by Christophe Beaurega » Mon, 11 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>: Contrary to what the FAQ says, Linux can run on MCA, and has been for
>: about two or three years.  It just hasn't been integrated into the
>: standard kernel.  Why?  Beats me.
>Actually some of the earliest Linux kernels will run on MCA machines,
>just that they cannot access any devices on the MCA bus (such as HDD's)

Some MCA machines can run some Linux kernels.  The model 55SX
with a Adaptec 1640 SCSI controller, for example, will run a SCSI
kernel.  Unfortunately, most other models require that IRQ 0 be reset
after a timer interrupt because of level triggered interrupts.  Since the
standard Linux kernel doesn't do this, these machines will hang after the
first timer interrupt.

Anyhow, saying that you can run the kernel without any devices is about
the same as saying you can't run the kernel.  I personally don't have
much use for an OS that can just run an idle task.

Quote:>: What amuses me the most is people who _insist_ that Linux can't run on
>: MCA, and never can because it's a different architecture.  One could say

>The code to handle MCA is most likely simpler than that for PCI.

If you were to use _all_ the various MCA features, I think it could get
as complex as PCI.  The adapter detection code can be as complex, and
then you can have bus error handlers, shared IRQs, etc.  I don't know
how bus extensions would be dealt with.  Plus, in theory you could
build a MCA SMP system by just adding a CPU board to the bus, which
adds a whole new level of complexity.  On the other hand, simple
adapter detection and shared IRQs doesn't even come close to pci.c in
size or complexity, and this is more than sufficient to get it up and
running (actually, you could ditch shared IRQs, but why would you want
to?)

c.

1. MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

If you look at the new kernel configs you will see a tree to add mca
support for hd, nics, etc, WWW.dgmicro.com/mca is a good source for info

Art I.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Iomega Zip Drive?

3. Linux sucks golfballs thru a garden hose

4. Advice needed on Linux on an Aptiva (Microchannel Architecture)

5. XConfig for Trident 8900C ?

6. Linux for PS/2 Microchannel

7. redhat {6.2,7.0} kickstart

8. Anyone ported Linux to PS/2 with MicroChannel Architecture?????

9. Linux on PS/2 Mod95 MicroChannel

10. Linux on Microchannel (PS/2) Machines

11. Porting Linux to PS/2 microchannel machines

12. Linux on Microchannel (PS/2) Machines