One way ping

Post by Phili » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I have computer, A, which cannot ping out, but 3 other computers can
ping it.  When I ping out from A to a known IP address I always get 1
received packet never anymore.  I have shut down A and pinged from the
other 3 computers and the results indicate that A is missing.
I really don't understand what is going on here.  Anybody got any ideas?

One way ping

Post by Phili » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:04:46

This has gotten even stranger.  I can telnet into computer A and while
telneted in can ftp to another machine transfer files and such.  But if I
logon locally and try to ftp or ping another machine I get no connection.

> I have computer, A, which cannot ping out, but 3 other computers can
> ping it.  When I ping out from A to a known IP address I always get 1
> received packet never anymore.  I have shut down A and pinged from the
> other 3 computers and the results indicate that A is missing.
> I really don't understand what is going on here.  Anybody got any ideas?

One way ping

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:56:20

Quote:> I have computer, A, which cannot ping out, but 3 other computers can ping it.
>  When I ping out from A to a known IP address I always get 1 received packet
> never anymore.  I have shut down A and pinged from the other 3 computers and
> the results indicate that A is missing. I really don't understand what is
> going on here.  Anybody got any ideas?

for a start

ifconfig
netstat -rn

run a tcpdump when you do the pings.

karl.

1. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).

Hello Everyone:

I have run accross a very anoying problem.  I have a small network
at home, - cable internet through a linksys router, a couple windows boxes,
and a redhat system used for my mail, webserv, etc.

Now... what i find happening (and not sure what caused it) here it goes...

from my windows PC - I can ping anything outside "i.e. yahoo.com".
from my LINUX box, I can ping anything outside as well.

From my linux box, I can also ping my windows system.
however, from my windows sytem, I cannot for the life of me, ping my linux
box (on its private internal address).

using port forwarding from the router however, I can ping my linux box -
i.e. (from my windows mahcine
I go outside, then come in throught the router and at that point I can hit
the webservice on the linux box,
but I have to go outside first.

Anyone know what could be causing this... I trashed the firewall rules
completly

-  /sbin/ipchains -F

and nothing is there...

This one is bazar!

Thank you everyone
Richard

2. require() method not returning parent directory's require directive

3. ping problem - only one ping made although -c option

4. iptables with multiple links

5. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).

6. newbie help with script

7. "ping $you -c 1" = one ping?

8. <Ctrl> cursor key

9. Setting up SLIP, Ping only works one one of the machines

10. Some ways to get my whole lan on the net with one ip?

11. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

12. alarm() does not work/ping only sends one packet on SMP machine (2.2.16)

13. Routing issues - ping works one way but not the other