MSN Messenger and IPChains

Post by Ben Wyat » Fri, 18 May 2001 23:56:46

I have set up a firewall using IPChains the firewall appears to be working
and letting the applications I want to access the internet through and
blocking unwanted incoming connections. What I want to know is how do I set
up IPChains to allow me to receive files from MSN messenger through it. When
I try and receive
files I get a list of DENYed input connections and the transfer fails. The
transfer also fails if a set IPChains to allow all incoming connections.

Any help welcome

Ben Wyatt

MSN Messenger and IPChains

Post by David Floo » Sat, 19 May 2001 01:06:04

Try taking a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q278/8/87.ASP  It has
information about firewall ports that MSN Messenger uses.

Quote:> I have set up a firewall using IPChains the firewall appears to be working
> and letting the applications I want to access the internet through and
> blocking unwanted incoming connections. What I want to know is how do I
set
> up IPChains to allow me to receive files from MSN messenger through it.
When
> I try and receive
> files I get a list of DENYed input connections and the transfer fails. The
> transfer also fails if a set IPChains to allow all incoming connections.

> Any help welcome

> Ben Wyatt

MSN Messenger and IPChains

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 19 May 2001 09:13:56

Hi Ben,

Quote:> I have set up a firewall using IPChains the firewall appears to be working
> and letting the applications I want to access the internet through and
> blocking unwanted incoming connections. What I want to know is how do I set
> up IPChains to allow me to receive files from MSN messenger through it.
> When I try and receive files I get a list of DENYed input connections and
> the transfer fails. The transfer also fails if a set IPChains to allow all
> incoming connections.

You might like to take a look at the URL:
http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/appsup.html

This lists a MSN messenger module which needs to be loaded on your system so
as to allow you to use the MSN messenger program.  I think also from memory it
contains a list of ipchains commands that need to be executed as well.

See ya

Dean Thompson