smtp relay error

Post by rvaed » Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:27:07

I have a windows server (MS 2003) and I pointed to a RHN 5.5 linux
email server to send emails if datavault backups fail.

I test the connection in command prompt using telnet hostip 25 and it
did connect.
However through the GUI it fails using a test button.

I researched this and couldn't find a solution.
can I have some hints please

smtp relay error

Post by Nrth » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 06:03:24

> I have a windows server (MS 2003) and I pointed to a RHN 5.5 linux email
> server to send emails if datavault backups fail.

> connection in command prompt using telnet hostip 25 and it did connect.
> However through the GUI it fails using a test button.

> I researched this and couldn't find a solution. can I have some hints
> please

Hello,

It sounds like the server you're attempting to send through does not
recognise 'hello.com' as a final destination that it handles and so would
need some form of authentication (username, password) in order to relay
emails.

Who owns/runs the email server ?

The telnet test just proved the server is reachable, not that it will
relay any and all messages.

Regards,

Nrth.

1. smtp error (we do not relay)

I am setting up a mailserver(using sendmail). I can use 'pine' (in the
mailserver machine) to send mail . But when I try to send mail using
outlook. the following error display

protocol: SMTP, server response: '551 we do not relay', Port: 25

Is there anything I miss when I setting up the server?

Thanks
Anson

2. Queuing server software

3. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

4. problem with playing mp3s

5. ISP's smtp refuses to relay (553)

6. RH 5.0 Newbie needs help.

7. How to set redhat linux smtp relay?