DNS

Post by Brian Leun » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a NT DNS server and a linux server. If I want my linux server to
use the DNS service of NT, should I add the entry of NT nameserver in
the file resolv.conf  in linux?
Thanks

DNS

Post by Mark Beste » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes. Your /etc/resolv.conf may look something like this:

domain foobar.com
search foobar.com
nameserver 203.2.193.124 (your DNS IP address)

> Hi,
> I have a NT DNS server and a linux server. If I want my linux server
> to use the DNS service of NT, should I add the entry of NT nameserver
> in the file resolv.conf  in linux?
> Thanks

DNS

Post by Adam Przybyl » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Yes. Your /etc/resolv.conf may look something like this:
> domain foobar.com
> search foobar.com
> nameserver 203.2.193.124 (your DNS IP address)

        ... remove line with domain . Regards
                                                        Adam Przybyla

1. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

Hi all...

My question is DNS related...

I have a small lan consisting of a Mandrake linux server with an adsl
connection which shares the connection to 3 other windows machines on
the network. I have previously ran a caching DNS with my ISPs DNS
servers as forwarders and used a host file to make sure local lookups
are quick. I decided to change the network so that the linux box runs
a DHCP server and the windows clients use the DHCP instead of having a
fixed IP, this works great. My only problem now is that any internal
services like telnet/ftp etc... to the linux server take an age to
connect. I assume that this is because my requests get sent to the
outside world via DNS. I have toyed with the idea of cheating a little
and fixing which IP gets sent to which machine on the lan so I can
still run a host file but I want to do it the/a proper way.

My question is, what is the proper way? Is Dynamic DNS the way to go?

I have used a windows 2000 dynamic DNS server as my DNS server which
worked really well but I would rather have a linux solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

TIA

Mark

2. Text output formating

3. UNIX DNS vs NT DNS

4. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

5. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?

6. Possible bug in /sbin/syslogd for Debian 0.91.

7. What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

8. what does eth0: Trigger_send() while transmitter busy mean?

9. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

10. h2n using "DNS Boss" a java GUI for DNS primary's

11. if DNS server was Windows based what DNS server software is avail?

12. Solaris DNS being replaced by NT4/DNS/WINS

13. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out