RIP-2 aggregated mode

Post by Jambunathan » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:22:55

Hi !
I have some clarifications to seek regarding RIP-2 opeartional modes.
I come tounderstand that generally most platforms support two different
modes of operation of RIP-2, aggregated and non-aggregated mode. In
aggregated mode a boundary RIP-2 router behaves more as a boundary RIP-1
router, wrt outside networks, filtering non-natural network adverti*ts
across the network boundaries. While in RIP-2 non-aggregated mode it
makes no special distinction between the natural network boundaries.
I suppose, RIP-2 aggregated is mainly to prevent containment of routing
table explosion. ( Also RIP-2 RFC doesn't any special reference to these
different modes and I presume this is
more of an implementation feature than a standard. )

Now here are my questions:
1) Is it realistic that an *adjacent* RIP-2 routers ( assume that both
are boundary routers with a common net ) be configured such that one is
acting in an aggregated mode and the other in a non-aggregated mode.
( This "mixed mode" doesn't seem "logical" )

2) Will the following ( implementation ) policy decision on RIP-2
receive side have an "adverse impact": If I am configured for
RIP-2 aggregated mode and if I am receiving adverti*ts for a
non-natural network on a network different from the advertised network,
don't create a routing entry. ( ie, if an adverti*t for
10.1.1.1/ff.ff.0.0 is received on 20.1.1.1/ff.ff.0.0 ignore the the
10.1.0.0/ff.ff.0.0 adverti*t but if I receive 11.0.0.0/ff.0.0.0
on the same interface accept it. )

3) Also on the RIP-2 send side would it be required to give a
"gratuitous advertsiement" for a natural network. ie., if I have an
interface with 10.1.1.1/ff.ff.0.0 and 20.1.1.1/ff.ff.0.0 and I am
running in *non-aggregated* mode should I advertise 10.0.0.0/ff.0.0.0
through the 20.1.0.0/ff.ff.0.0 inteface.

My understanding is that, questions 2 and 3 arise only if "mixed mode"
in question 1 makes sense !

Will be happy to hear your insights on this !

Thanks,
Jambunathan K.

1. solaris2.5.1 as router, RIP-2 help?

Hello:

Does solaris 2.5.1 have problem with passing RIP-2 ?

Why am I asking this question:
-------------------------------

I am setting up an Ultra-10 ( solaris 2.5.1) as a router.

It is look like the following

    Rest of the world

Cisco Router ----- SUN BOX --|------ Bay 1200 switch
                             |                  |-----200.0.21 net
                             |-----200.0.22.252
                                   ( a machine)

the two interfaces on the sun box is configured as follow

        200.0.24.12---SUN BOX------200.0.22.11

Traffic between "200.0.22" network and the rest of the world and vice
versa is fine. But the route table on the sun box does not get updated for
21 and 23 networks and I can not see anything on "21" or "23" network.

Any help greatly appriciated
Navid

        " I think, so I exists "

2. Ensonic AudioPCI

3. RIP ----> rpm <----- RIP

4. CERN multihome-patch

5. Ripping a multi-mode ISO image

6. Flush output within a shell program

7. Aggregate

8. WTS: Some cheapo 486 PEECEEs that work with Linux

9. Aggregating ethernet bandwidth

10. Aggregating 2 ISP links (DSL)

11. aggregate name -> dev.name patch

12. Quad fast ethernet and aggregate bandwidth

13. Particle/Aggregate visualization software