self-compiled httpd does not start (suse 6.1 / apache 1.3.x))

self-compiled httpd does not start (suse 6.1 / apache 1.3.x))

Post by jevv » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Is out there somebody with the same problem?

I have a SuSe 6.1 / 2.2.12. The precompiled apache runs well,
but when i downloaded and installed a 1.3.9 it just refused service
without any notice (ie no segfault or whatever) - it just hangs.
http -v (or -l) works fine, anyway.

ps says the httpd process runs, netstat says port 80 is NOT in use
and i cannot connect to my machine.

Tried even a 136 and the IBM https (based on 136/137) with the same
result.

The updated apache package from suse runs fine, but its not what I need :)

thx 4 any info in advance!!!

jevv

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

self-compiled httpd does not start (suse 6.1 / apache 1.3.x))

Post by QuestionExchang » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a SuSe 6.1 / 2.2.12. The precompiled apache runs well,
> but when i downloaded and installed a 1.3.9 it just refused
service
> without any notice (ie no segfault or whatever) - it just
hangs.
> http -v (or -l) works fine, anyway.
> The updated apache package from suse runs fine, but its not

what I need :)
Then the best thing to do is to get the SRPM of the updated
Apache from SuSE and to look at .spec file from it. You'll
see how it has been built and also you can modify that build
procedure to satisfy your own needs.
Quote:> thx 4 any info in advance!!!
> jevv

WBW,
Const

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=4954&cus...

1. Apache 1.3: "httpd could not be started"

After sucessfuly building, installing and debugging my config files, when I
run "apachectl start" I get the message "httpd could not be started".

I was running 1.2.5 on my Free BSD 2.2.5 box before without any problems.
The build went fine, the install too... I debugged my virtual hosts setup
(needed that new NameVirtualHost directive) and didn't get any runtime
errors except that one.

There were no other httpd daemons running at the time I tried to start
1.3... I even re-booted after putting it in my startup and it didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!!
Don

2. network printer

3. RH 6.1 -- plz help with errors in starting httpd (Apache)

4. How can I know if a file is being used by an other process?

5. SuSE 6.1: sshd not starting

6. xemacs, netscape, and lesstif

7. NCSA httpd 1.3 Won't Start in Linux 1.2.13

8. Looking for distribution

9. Fatal trap 12 error with self-compiled 4.4 kernels (not with 4.3) -- is it a bug?

10. Compiling Cern's httpd 1.3

11. httpd.conf only since Apache 1.3.?

12. apache 1.3, SunOS 4.1.3, httpd process locks up

13. CERN HTTPD 3.0 or NCSA HTTPD 1.3?