Suggestions for networking 3 computers

Suggestions for networking 3 computers

Post by And.. » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:08:28



I have 3 computers I want to network, and one cable modem connection.
(on the cable connection, I can technically have one NIC card (MAC
address) using the connection). That is why I want to use one of my
computers (running Linux), to MASQ the other two computers on the
network.

Would like any suggestions, hints or help.

Anyway.

Computer 1)  I want running Windows.
Computer 2)  I want running Linux.
Computer 3)  running Linux, I want to use as a firewall/MASQ.

I'm just not sure the best nic cards/wiring (10/100) setup.

What would be the best for security and simplicity?

I would like computer 1 and 2 to be able to communicate (with the
Linux box, computer number 2 running ftp/telnet).
But I would like computer number 1, the Windows computer, to
be hidden/secure as possible.

Again, any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone knows of any good books on home networking, feel free
posting them.

Thanks for any help/thoughts.

Andrew

 
 
 

Suggestions for networking 3 computers

Post by David K. Mean » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 05:07:26



> I have 3 computers I want to network, and one cable modem connection.
> (on the cable connection, I can technically have one NIC card (MAC
> address) using the connection). That is why I want to use one of my
> computers (running Linux), to MASQ the other two computers on the
> network.

> Would like any suggestions, hints or help.

This is a pretty common situation.  I have written a set of web pages
that describe one common scheme for doing exactly what you describe:
    http://www.digitalelephant.rog/computing/linux/index.html

HTH

 
 
 

Suggestions for networking 3 computers

Post by And.. » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:03:42


On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:07:26 -0800, "David K. Means"



>> I have 3 computers I want to network, and one cable modem connection.
>> (on the cable connection, I can technically have one NIC card (MAC
>> address) using the connection). That is why I want to use one of my
>> computers (running Linux), to MASQ the other two computers on the
>> network.

>> Would like any suggestions, hints or help.

>This is a pretty common situation.  I have written a set of web pages
>that describe one common scheme for doing exactly what you describe:
>    http://www.digitalelephant.rog/computing/linux/index.html

>HTH

Thanks, I'll have to take a look.

Andrew

 
 
 

Suggestions for networking 3 computers

Post by Andre' Vellor » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:08:26



> I have 3 computers I want to network, and one cable modem connection.
> Computer 1)  I want running Windows.
> Computer 2)  I want running Linux.
> Computer 3)  running Linux, I want to use as a firewall/MASQ.
> I would like computer 1 and 2 to be able to communicate (with the
> Linux box, computer number 2 running ftp/telnet).
> But I would like computer number 1, the Windows computer, to
> be hidden/secure as possible.

Hi Andrew,
Windows can't be secure, even while network can be secure, you know that
  viruses are Windows best enemies. So you can be technically safe from
network point of view, but you can't from a system's.

Anyway, buy an hub (10/100 could be fine, even economic 100 or 10),
connect all PC to hub, configure linux dial up, set up masq with
iptables and firewall all with iptables as well.

Set all PC to gateway on linux box, and surf the net.

On the other hand, if you really want to be secure (like most commercial
firewall do ie Raptor). You should really consider setting up a
transparent squid (proxy) on the linux box, without masq, for mail and
ftp too.

This way you can even check net access, forbiding certain sites or
filtering contents.

Lastly, don't forget to set up a Q3A Server  on the linux box! ;)

Hope this helps,
Andre' Vellori

 
 
 

1. Suggestion for 3 computers using wireless network

I have 3 computers, two PCs and one laptop, connected to a desktop 5-port
switch.

There is a SMC router connected (with wireless) to a broadband modem. All
laptops within range can connect to SMC via wireless.

As for me, I am thinking of the best method of providing internet access to
my 3 computers.

Considered:

(1) Wireless bridege
I think this option is out because the SMC router is not set to bridge mode.

(2) Individual wireless device for 2 PCs (sigh, I am trying to avoid this).

(3) Passthrough internet connection, ie get 1 PC to have a wireless device
and let the other two computer to share the wireless connection (not too
sure on this).

Any other better method ? Thanks.

2. Any Linux-Tools for the SHARC 2106XE EZLITE Kit?

3. How to connect a windows 95 computer with a Linux computer (both have network cards)

4. ???:Odd Masqu "Problem"??? - Solved!

5. Find Computer finds computer, but Network Neighborhood doesn't

6. Tekram DC-395 UW and Linux ?

7. How to network 1 Linux computer with 2 Win98 computers

8. Gnomish...

9. Linking 2 computers with Ethernet--need suggestions.

10. we have SAN(Storage Area Network), can we have CAN (Computer Area Network)

11. Suggestions for used computer to learn RedHat?

12. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

13. Suggestions for a fault tolerant computer.