Autentication - Linux, Novell, Microshop

Autentication - Linux, Novell, Microshop

Post by Jean-Francois Bac » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

We have just replaced in our school our NT proxy server by Squid under
Suse Linux 6.0 (much faster than NT by the way).
Our network is composed of a Novell printer and file server, and a NT4
as DNS server that update all workstartions antivirus database.

Internet is accesible from all workstations.

However, we wish to filter packets from Squid in order to avoid ftp and
irc sessions for specific group or users. Today we only limited the
access according IP addresses with its corresponding limitations.

How started sessions from win95 can be autenticated by Squid ? We wish
this autentication process to be as simple as possible for users
(limiting the number of autentication screens).

Users and passwords are identical in both Novell and NT4 servers so both
sessions are run simultanously.

Any help will be appreciated.

Autentication - Linux, Novell, Microshop

Post by Andre van Di » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Op Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:38:56 +0000 is het volgende aan Jean-Francois Bach ontsproten:

Quote:>We have just replaced in our school our NT proxy server by Squid under
>Suse Linux 6.0 (much faster than NT by the way).
>Our network is composed of a Novell printer and file server, and a NT4
>as DNS server that update all workstartions antivirus database.

>Internet is accesible from all workstations.

>However, we wish to filter packets from Squid in order to avoid ftp and
>irc sessions for specific group or users. Today we only limited the
>access according IP addresses with its corresponding limitations.

>How started sessions from win95 can be autenticated by Squid ? We wish
>this autentication process to be as simple as possible for users
>(limiting the number of autentication screens).

>Users and passwords are identical in both Novell and NT4 servers so both
>sessions are run simultanously.

>Any help will be appreciated.

Ok first of all i don't know about the authentication possabilities in Squid.
I have this Linux Web server running in a Novell based W95 Network. People can
put html files on the Linux box via SMB shares. The Windows clients will send
the Novell Login and password to the Linux box when connecting to a share. The
Linux box will verify these with the Novell server by a PAM module that's
designed for this. This way people don't ever have to telnet to the Linux box
to change password etc. they don't even have to give their password. Very
convenient. Like i stated i don't know how Squid authenticates but if can be
done via PAM check out the Novell PAM module. BTW there's also a NT PAM
module. If you think you can use this let me know and i'll dig up the URL
where i found the module. (or search the web yourself :-).

Good luck.

--
Andre van Dijk
,----------------------------------+-------------+-----------------------.

`----------------------------------+-------------+-----------------------'
You get your b*tch *ss in the kitchen and bake me some pie.
                          -- Cartman, South Park.

1. public key autentication - linux <-> w2k

hi!

my server is running openssh version 2.1.1.
i want to connect to my machine using public key autentication.
the client programm is either ssh version 2.4 for win 2000
or secure crt version 3.3.1 or anything similar.
the problem is, that the keys, generated by the client, are not accepted by
the server ssh daemon. i recognized that the format of the (windows-)
client-generated key is not the same as the one generated by the
(unix-)server.

how can i make communication between them work?

thank you all, andi

2. Maybe I don't understand xmodmap...

3. NES autentication problem

4. Help installing StarOffice........

5. NIS autentication

6. Problems running mysql

7. ProxyPass, autentication and trailing slashes

8. PROM Security

9. NES user autentication problem

10. Basic http autentication with gsoap

11. Basic autentication i.e. a passwd protected directory

12. Debian Sarge, Swat, and autentication errors.

13. Linux and Novell: Noorda's Corsair Linux offshoot