Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

Post by Jonni » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Same problem I am having dude.  I am new to Linux but I am going to figure
it out.  I will post the solution as soon as I have time to look at it
closer.

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I am wanting to connect to my ISP running NT4, the modem, DNS entries &
> everything else seems good, I just need to know what authentication protocol
> NT4 uses as I cannot seem to login nor do I see any username:/pword:
> requests in a terminal window coming from the ISP.

It uses whatever PPP authentication it's configured to use.  Usually
MS-CHAP, CHAP, and/or PAP.  I'd attempt to use CHAP authentication,
but configure the pppd "debug" option to check for what it really wants
in case that failed.

--

/* My confidence in this answer (X), on a scale of 1 to 10:
   |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----X

Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

Post by Gravy Trai » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

YO dudes,

i did exactly the same thing you boys are doing. You have to get a fix of
some sort for pppd. i have written a small script using pppd and ended up
just having to type my script as pppd call ISP and away you go.
Ill try to find all the relevant info and post it for you so its not in
dribs and drabs

Gravy

Quote:> I am wanting to connect to my ISP running NT4, the modem, DNS entries &
> everything else seems good, I just need to know what authentication
protocol
> NT4 uses as I cannot seem to login nor do I see any username:/pword:
> requests in a terminal window coming from the ISP.

> If anyone knows the login secret, please share it with me.

> Many thanks,
> Richard

Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

Post by Richar » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Solution: http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Hardware Suppliers in Australia

3. Connecting pppd to NT server without chap/ms-chap

4. BARE image can't boot - even with most cards pulled !

5. Problem in running pppd with MS-CHAP

6. Automatic login with sftp?

7. PPP/CHAP/PAP to an NT server from non-MS client (HELP!)

8. Where is libstdc++.so.3?

9. Problem with failing to establish route table if ISP uses PAP or CHAP

10. Request for Help with pap/chap pppd dial-in script

11. PAP & CHAP dial in

12. <chap 80> versus <chap 05>...?!?

13. Problem with MS-CHAP and PPP and authentification