USB Wireless set up in Suse 8.2

Post by John Smit » Thu, 11 Sep 2003 05:31:39

Hi,
   I am a linux newbie and although I have got almost all the hardware on pc
running using linux the one bit that is defeating me is my ZoomAir 11MB USB
wireless client. I want to set it up to talk to my wireless router. Using
YAST I have found that it is listed as an unknown Intersil device
(presumably prisim 2). I have tried using YAST to set it up, this create a
file in /etc/sysconfig/network call ifcfg-eth-usb which looks more or less
right (judging by stuff I have seen on various web sites). When I call
ifconfig I get the message: eth-usb: unknown interface: No such device.
ifconfig just lists the lo interface. What am I doing wrong. Has anybody got
a wireless usb device to work?

Many Thanks

Jon

USB Wireless set up in Suse 8.2

Post by Zane Vandive » Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:17:49

John,
Check the SuSE support database article at
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/wavelan.html.  That helped me get my pcmcia
card working.  Also look at my ifcfg-eth1 file at
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zvan.  That should help you set some of the
wireless-specific values.
Good luck,
Zane

Quote:> Hi,

--
Zane
Registered Linux User 159730

1. Suse 8.2 and wireless pcmcia notebook networking

I recently purchased a no-name notebook computer (from
linuxcertified.com) on which I installed (via ftp download off the web)
Suse 8.2. I took my notebook on a business trip with me, and in the
hotel where I stayed, I could rent a  pcmcia card that allowed me to
connect to the internet through their wireless network. When I got home
I decided to go wireless there as well. I got myself a router (SMC
7004VWBR Barricade) which now interposes itself between my DSL modem and
my 2-computer (workstation + notebook) Linux home network. The wired
(LAN) part works, but unlike the easy experience at the hotel, I'm
having all manner of difficulty getting the wireless part to work. For a
COMPUSA pcmcia card (since returned), Suse 8.2 gave the blunt message:
hardware not supported. Then I tried an SMC card, no luck. Then I tried
a Linksys WPC11 v. 4 card (still have it). YAST recognizes the card and
lets me "configure" it, it gets "hotplugged" on boot-up, but the "link"
light refuses resolutely to come on. No connection. So I emailed the
hotel where I stayed to ask them what card it was that they rented me
that Suse recognized, hotplugged, and connected right away. They replied
saying it was a Compex iWaveport WL11A+ Enhance 11Mbps 802.11b wireless
pcmcia card. I've ordered it, and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday
next week. If I'm lucky, that should be the end of what turned into a
saga, two days and counting. I didn't realize how lucky I was to stay at
a hotel which, purely by chance it would seem, happened to offer for
rent a wireless card that worked perfectly the first time with my Linux
notebook. If things could always be so easy!

Cheers!
Sidney

2. Linux Seminar

3. Wireless card Dell D800 Laptop Linux SuSE 8.2

4. XFree 4.0 & Kernel 2.4 memory leak.

5. Suse 8.2 and Maxtor Liquid USB 2.0

6. kernel panic?

7. Medion USB Keyboard auf Suse Linux 8.2

8. Looking for Sound Filetring software

9. WinXP ask for username/password when setting up access to a CUPs printer in Suse 8.2

10. Setting up multiple users identically in Suse 8.2 / KDE

11. Suse 8.2: Setting up an ethernet-interface without an ip-address

12. Wireless Networking in Mandrake 8.2

13. D-Link DWL500 802.11b Wireless pcmcia card and Mandrake 8.2