EQL/ MultilinkPPP

Post by Jonatha » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am trying to use 2 analog modems to dial back to work and then bond
them for one pipe of throughput.  Here is some info.  I am using two
analog modems to dial into a Cisco 2510 with pppmultilink on the two
dial-in interfaces.  I have eql built into the kernel and here is the
commands I have used:

ifconfig eql <local ip> mtu 1500
eql_enslave eql ppp0 24000 (slow connection)
eql_enslave eql ppp1 24000
route add default eql

When I get both lines up, then I telnet to a server (AIX) and have to
throw a display back local: xterm -display <one of the dial-up
ip's>:0.0&.  Then when I do an ifconfig it shows all the traffic going
through the interface that I had to put in for the display.  My question
is how to get the connections to act as one.  Is there something else I
need on the router?

Now that this is clear as muddy water, any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I am very new at trying to set this up.

SuSE6.1, kernel 2.2.9

EQL/ MultilinkPPP

Post by Bill Steine » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Johnathan:

Wish I could help you, but I haven't gotten as far as you have with eql.
Just a thought, though: what is route tell you? Have you checked it to see
if you have any conflicting routings? I had a lot of trouble with that when
I first started using ppp.

Perhaps you'll be able to help me out. I'm trying to get two v.90 modems
talking to my ISP. Have done it with NT Workstation previously, so I know it

works at ISP's end. I prefer Linux's router capabilities to NT. I can get a
single modem to work fine, but I can't get eql_enslave to work on my Linux
box. I'm running RedHat with the 2.2.5-13 kernel. It has EQL installed as a
module. I can get the module to load, and I can configure it as the default
gateway with my box's IP address. I can also get both modems connected to
the ISP. Then I run into a brick wall. RedHat doesn't come with eql_enslave,

so I downloaded it from sunsite/metalab (eql-1.2.tar.gz by Simon Janes).
Everytime I try to run eql-enslave, I get a bash error: cannor execute
binary file.

I've tried recompiling eql_enslave.c that comes with eql-1.2.tar.gz, but the
C compiler can't find eql.h in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/. There's an eql.c
file there instead. I tried changing the reference from eql.h to eql.c in
eql.enslave.c but then the copiler spews error messages. Very frustrating! I
get the feeling that version 1.2 of eql_enslave is not compatible with these
newer kernels, but not sure of that either. What version of eql_enslave are
you using, and where did you get it? Did you
run into any of the difficulties I have?

Good luck with your problem, and thanks for any info you can provide about
eql_enslave.

Bill

> Hello all,

> I am trying to use 2 analog modems to dial back to work and then bond
> them for one pipe of throughput.  Here is some info.  I am using two
> analog modems to dial into a Cisco 2510 with pppmultilink on the two
> dial-in interfaces.  I have eql built into the kernel and here is the
> commands I have used:

> ifconfig eql <local ip> mtu 1500
> eql_enslave eql ppp0 24000 (slow connection)
> eql_enslave eql ppp1 24000
> route add default eql

> When I get both lines up, then I telnet to a server (AIX) and have to
> throw a display back local: xterm -display <one of the dial-up
> ip's>:0.0&.  Then when I do an ifconfig it shows all the traffic going
> through the interface that I had to put in for the display.  My question
> is how to get the connections to act as one.  Is there something else I
> need on the router?

> Now that this is clear as muddy water, any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  I am very new at trying to set this up.

> SuSE6.1, kernel 2.2.9

EQL/ MultilinkPPP

Post by bill davids » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

| I am trying to use 2 analog modems to dial back to work and then bond
| them for one pipe of throughput.  Here is some info.  I am using two
| analog modems to dial into a Cisco 2510 with pppmultilink on the two
| dial-in interfaces.  I have eql built into the kernel and here is the
| commands I have used:
|
| ifconfig eql <local ip> mtu 1500
| eql_enslave eql ppp0 24000 (slow connection)
| eql_enslave eql ppp1 24000
| route add default eql

If you do ifconfig, is the local IP the same for both connections? If
not the binding between ports isn't going to work right.

| When I get both lines up, then I telnet to a server (AIX) and have to
| throw a display back local: xterm -display <one of the dial-up
| ip's>:0.0&.  Then when I do an ifconfig it shows all the traffic going
| through the interface that I had to put in for the display.  My question
| is how to get the connections to act as one.  Is there something else I
| need on the router?

The address you have to give is the eql address, not the ppp address.
And that better be routable to and through your ISP. In practice this is
almost always done by giving you a fixed IP address and assigning that
to you in the ppp connection. The reason you are getting all the traffic
on one link is that you put the display one one link.

| Now that this is clear as muddy water, any help would be greatly
| appreciated.  I am very new at trying to set this up.

I haven't done an EQL setup in over a year, and my script which does it
is not handy. But the problem I think you are having is that you may be
getting different IPs on each ppp connect, and the <local> address may
not be one which is routable and which your ISP is routing to you.

If your IP addresses are not the same you just have two connections, not
EQL.
--

  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like
the fountain of immaturity.

1. EQL/MultilinkPPP; ~100kbps=2 x 56k modems?

As I promised that I was going to post the result of
my struggle with EQL and Multilink PPP, I am posting what I have
found so far.

My goal:
I have a small network of four computers at home.  I wanted to
connect these computers to the Internet as fast as possible,
and as cheap as possible.  I looked for a way to bond two phone
lines as one to get a fast connection, i.e., two 56k modems = ~100k.
I tried EQL and Multilink PPP on Linux to have a Linux box to
work as a router.  But I ended up using WinProxy on Windows98 to have
it work as a router.  Because I found the following facts:

About EQL:
You need a static IP address for your Linux computer at home.
However, most ISPs will assign you an IP address dynamically.
ISP needs to have a router, Livingstone Portmaster 2 or later.
I could not find any ISP using this type of router in my area.

About Multilink PPP:
Linux support for Multilink PPP has been on the wish list
of kernel development for a while, but it is still at its
early stage. (Very limited Multilink PPP is possible with
kernel versions 2.1.37 to 2.1.43, which are outdated.)

About WinProxy:
I got an account from an ISP with Multilink PPP support.
My account costs $29.95/mo. with unlimited usage and five e-mail accounts.
(Let me know if you would like to know which ISP I am using.)
Just set up Multilink as instructed on Windows98.
Setup WinProxy just as instructed on its User's Manual.
You are done.  You get ~100kbps connection to the Internet from Windows and
Linux computers on the network at home. (Oh, yes, you can use cheap winmodems.)
It should also be possible to get ~150kbps connection if you have three
phone lines and three 56k modems (if your account allows three connections).
But I haven't tried because I have only two phone lines.

I really wish Multilink PPP support in Linux is going to be available soon..

Kaz

2. METAFONT within Linux

3. MultilinkPPP support

4. Great opp. for Microkernel Engineer

5. MultiLinkPPP

6. Winmodems: Do they work w/Linux?

7. MultilinkPPP

8. Cyrix DLC-40 and Linux

9. Help with 3comImpact IQ and MultiLinkPPP.

10. LoadBalancing(eql)

11. CSLIP and EQL: cannot get them working

12. EQL or Multi-Link PPP server

13. Possible to use EQL driver with two Dynamic IP serial connections ?