Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by ale » Wed, 15 May 2002 06:01:28

Hi there,

I have red hat 7.1 working perfectly for the last year and a half. I
was serving http, ftp, telnet, ssh, and any imaginable net service.

Sudenly today, I was trying an simple ftp and did not work.

Start testing, http services, and not working.

Ping myself and no answer. Ping localhost: network unreachable. Trying
to access webmin but no luck.

If I run ifconfig, it tells me it does not exist, even though it is
there.

network status, tells me lo eth0 and eth1 are down.

I reload, network reload, network restart, it does everything ok, but
still the  network is down, and unreachable.

If I restart the server, all the services started [OK]..
Starting network lo          [OK]
Starting network eth0        [OK]
Starting network eth1        [OK]

http                         [OK]

...and so on.

But still, ping localhost is unreachable, and the network is down.

Can any one give me magic touch?. Tomorrow I will have all my
customers and friends asking me, Where is my web site?.

Thank you folks

Alex

Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by peter pils » Wed, 15 May 2002 06:24:20

> If I run ifconfig, it tells me it does not exist, even though it is
> there.

what does ifconfig exactely tell you ?
do you mean it tells you "no such file or directory ?" ?

than you have a problem with your system and I would recommend a full
systemcheck - starting with a filesystemcheck.

If you need fast solution, just use the usual way we learned at different
machines : reboot you computer

at least you should check the logfiles and the /proc/... files.

peter

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by XX_Ryde » Wed, 15 May 2002 12:06:23

If i were you i would be checking all of your log files sounds to me as in
youve been hacked ....

Good luck
Hope im wrong for your sake...

XX_RydeR.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I have red hat 7.1 working perfectly for the last year and a half. I
> was serving http, ftp, telnet, ssh, and any imaginable net service.

> Sudenly today, I was trying an simple ftp and did not work.

> Start testing, http services, and not working.

> Ping myself and no answer. Ping localhost: network unreachable. Trying
> to access webmin but no luck.

> If I run ifconfig, it tells me it does not exist, even though it is
> there.

> network status, tells me lo eth0 and eth1 are down.

> I reload, network reload, network restart, it does everything ok, but
> still the  network is down, and unreachable.

> If I restart the server, all the services started [OK]..
> Starting network lo          [OK]
> Starting network eth0        [OK]
> Starting network eth1        [OK]

> http                         [OK]

> ...and so on.

> But still, ping localhost is unreachable, and the network is down.

> Can any one give me magic touch?. Tomorrow I will have all my
> customers and friends asking me, Where is my web site?.

> Thank you folks

> Alex

Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by ale » Thu, 23 May 2002 16:55:38

> > If I run ifconfig, it tells me it does not exist, even though it is
> > there.

> what does ifconfig exactely tell you ?
> do you mean it tells you "no such file or directory ?" ?

> than you have a problem with your system and I would recommend a full
> systemcheck - starting with a filesystemcheck.

> If you need fast solution, just use the usual way we learned at different
> machines : reboot you computer

> at least you should check the logfiles and the /proc/... files.

> peter

I goes even worse and worse.

Aparentley for any reason (hackers), the ifconfig and netstat can not
be modified. if I try to install net-tools.rpm, it cant because those
files (ifconfig & netstat) are untoucheble. I cant chmod them, cant
remove them , cant chown them. Even in rescue mode, I mount the root
filesystem under /mnt/system/ and still cant touch them. I dont know
what to do, and I dont fancy the idea of reformating the file system.

Any more ideas welcome.

Alex

Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 24 May 2002 03:08:54

> I goes even worse and worse.

> Aparentley for any reason (hackers), the ifconfig and netstat can not
> be modified. if I try to install net-tools.rpm, it cant because those
> files (ifconfig & netstat) are untoucheble. I cant chmod them, cant
> remove them , cant chown them. Even in rescue mode, I mount the root
> filesystem under /mnt/system/ and still cant touch them. I dont know
> what to do, and I dont fancy the idea of reformating the file system.

sounds liek the filesystem is read-only,  run a fsck on it need be then
mount it.

karl.

Network really really DOWN !!!

Post by Jayasutha » Sun, 26 May 2002 03:03:17

Hi Karl,

wow it been quite awhile i am away.. one of my server is hitting it
longest uptime 91 days now..

okey Alex:

its must be filesystem corrupted.. this happen normally misuse of hdparm
or having bad hard disk.. if u find lots of files understand
/lost+found, means most of file eat up ''corrupted''. When mount in
recovery mode what does "dmesg" says.. u could find out why its only
allow to be read-only..

On 22 May 2002 00:55:38 -0700

--

Jayasuthan
System Support

1. HELP --- really, really strange network problem!!

Hi, here's the situation:

I've got a desktop PC with an ISA NE2000 compatible NIC (10BaseT), with
PnP disabled, and set for IRQ11, I/O Address 0x300.  It's a triple boot
system with RH 4.2 Linux (2.0.30), NT 4.0 (SP3), and Win98.  The card is
recognized by all 3 systems with no conflicts, and in all 3 OS'es I have
assigned the desktop machine IP 192.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0.  OK,
under all three OS'es, I can ping this IP address with no problems.  I
have connected, with Cat5 crossover cable, my laptop (running Win95)
which I have assigned IP 192.168.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0.  Now, here's
the problem:

When my desktop machine is booted into Win98, the two machines
communicate flawlessly. TCP/IP, NetBeui, you name it, work just fine.
However, under NT or Linux, neither machine can see one another!  Each
machine can ping it's own IP address (desktop ping 192.168.1.1 ok,
laptop pings 192.168.1.2 ok), but pinging the other machine, forget
about it!  No dice!  NetBeui under NT does not work either!

I am just about at my wit's end!  At this point, my best diagnosis is
that the NE2000 drivers for both NT and Linux have problems with this
particular card, but what a coincidence if that's true!  To me, the fact
that Win98 and Win95 work fine seems to eliminate any hardware problems,
so perhaps I am missing a network setting somewhere? I have checked the
bindings, made sure that the NT workgroup name matches the Win95 (on the
laptop) workgroup name), and under Linux, have run netstat, tcpdump, and
even arp, everything indicating that the desktop's NIC is just not aware
of the network!

Please, any recommendations, advice, or insight is welcome.  If you need
me to elaborate on anything, I'll be happy to oblige.  Also, please post
the replies so that others out there with similar problems may benefit
from the thread.  Thanks in advance,

Kevin

2. Adding disk to raid0 w/reiserfs

3. Knoppix is *really* *really* cool!

4. C Shell script needed for counting words

5. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

6. Getting mini icon on task bar entries

7. driver: DMA really really slow

8. Scheme for setting up env in either sh or csh

9. Really, really newbie

10. @Home RCA Cable Modem, RH 7.1, and a really really _weird_ problem

11. really, really simple question

12. Really, really stupid ifconfig question :-)

13. Why Windoze 2000 REALLY, REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!