Connecting to Samba from Windows

Post by Doug Laidla » Thu, 15 May 2008 21:23:07

If I set my Samba server to user level security, Windows XP says I am locked
out.  If I set it to share level security, Windows wants a password.  To my
reading, that isn't according to the book.  I should have free access with
share level, and be prompted for a password with user level.

Or do I misunderstand it?

Doug.

1. Connecting to Samba from Windows 98

Hi All,

I have 3 Pc's setup on a network,
1 x Linux
1 Win2K
1 Win98

The linux PC.is running Red Hat 7.1, and acts as my internet gateway, web
server tfc server and fileshare.
Win2K is use for browsing and gen stuff
Win98 I use for games.

The problems I have is that I can connect to the Linux samba share using the
Win2K machine and I do this via a little Net Use Batch File, when I go to
use the same file with the win98 machine I get the following error:-

The option "USER:USERNAME" is unknown. make sure you are specifyong a valid
option and the try again.

Ok So I can not specify a username when connecting to the shared drives.
What do I cannec as by Default does anyone know?

Any tips on getting round this will be most helpful

Mark

2. Win95 to Linux packet loss

3. Difficulty connecting Windows XP to Samba share

4. Downloading a AIX Patch

5. Windows '98 can't connect to Samba!

6. makefile for zImage

7. Can't get ftp on Windows 2000 to work on network connected by Samba

8. TCP/IP Stability & Performance: Linux vs FreeBSD

9. Incorrect time when connecting from Windows to Solaris via Samba

10. Connecting to samba shares is very slow only with Windows XP

11. Samba can't connect to Windows machine

12. Connecting to windows machines using samba

13. Connecting Windows 98 to Samba