connecting LAN to Internet via 1 or several modems

connecting LAN to Internet via 1 or several modems

Post by Laurent VILLEPIGU » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

My internet provider has given me a phone number and a static IP address
which I use to temporarily connect one Windows 95 machine or one Linux
machine to the Internet. I would like to connect all the machines of our
LAN to the Internet through one or several modems plugged to the Linux
machine which act as a gateway. My Internet provider can give me
Internet addresses for each of the machines on the LAN so I won't use IP
masquerade. I would like to know how can my Linux machine automaticaly
dial the modem when datagrams from the LAN are sent outside and how this
Linux machine can hang up after no datagrams have been seen for a
certain amount of time.

Thank you very much in advance for the answer which will help me a lot

Laurent VILLEPIGUE
SYNTEL
France