T-1 Management: Router Based vs. Linux Box Gateway Based

T-1 Management: Router Based vs. Linux Box Gateway Based

Post by Chap Munge » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Gurus,    we are planning on installing a fractional T-1 connection at work
(hurray!).  We are comparing various routers (Cisco 1600,1700 series mainly)
that offer various services such as: NAT, Firewalling, etc.  that a Linux
machine configured as a gateway could also offer.

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of advantages/disadvantages there
would be in having the Router handle some of these services vs. a Linux
Box ?

Anyone with any experience in this matter ?
Any good URLs about T-1 management using Linux ?

Any sort of advice, recommendations or critique is greatly appreciated.
Thanks amillion in advance.

Chap

T-1 Management: Router Based vs. Linux Box Gateway Based

Post by Eugen » Sat, 27 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Linux box would certainly be *much* cheaper and would support a lot more
stuff than a router (e.g. caching domain names, and data, NAT for different
protocols, etc....)

Quote:> Gurus,    we are planning on installing a fractional T-1 connection at
work
> (hurray!).  We are comparing various routers (Cisco 1600,1700 series
mainly)
> that offer various services such as: NAT, Firewalling, etc.  that a Linux
> machine configured as a gateway could also offer.

> Does anyone have any ideas what sort of advantages/disadvantages there
> would be in having the Router handle some of these services vs. a Linux
> Box ?

> Anyone with any experience in this matter ?
> Any good URLs about T-1 management using Linux ?

> Any sort of advice, recommendations or critique is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks amillion in advance.

> Chap

T-1 Management: Router Based vs. Linux Box Gateway Based

Post by Chris Carbaug » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

How would the T1 be connected to the Linux box?

Isn't _some_ hardware needed to get that T1 hooked up to the network?

We are in the same situation.

> Linux box would certainly be *much* cheaper and would support a lot more
> stuff than a router (e.g. caching domain names, and data, NAT for different
> protocols, etc....)

> > Gurus,    we are planning on installing a fractional T-1 connection at
> work
> > (hurray!).  We are comparing various routers (Cisco 1600,1700 series
> mainly)
> > that offer various services such as: NAT, Firewalling, etc.  that a Linux
> > machine configured as a gateway could also offer.

> > Does anyone have any ideas what sort of advantages/disadvantages there
> > would be in having the Router handle some of these services vs. a Linux
> > Box ?

> > Anyone with any experience in this matter ?
> > Any good URLs about T-1 management using Linux ?

> > Any sort of advice, recommendations or critique is greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks amillion in advance.

> > Chap

1. Connecting 10-base-2 and 10-base-T to linux box

I have a network at home that used to be all coaxel (10-base-2), it
connected 3 computers together, 2 in my computer room and 1 in my
nephew's room.

I recently bought a 4-port hub and now have my 2 computers (1 linux, 1
windoze) connected to it.

On the linux box, I have two network cards a LinkSys PCI 10/100 lan
card 10-Base-T card and a Kingston tulip-based combo card.

The Kingston card is connected to the coaxel cable that goes to my
nephews room.

I have both configured.

The linksys works correctly and communicates with my windoze machine.

With the Kingston tulip card, I can ping the card itself, but nothing
else.

I have a small windoze partition on my linux box, when I boot it up, I
can see my nephews computer, so I know the network card itself is
working

My question is how do I get it to see my nephews computer in linux,
right now, I can't ping his computer in linux but can see in in
windoze/net neighborhood...

Can this be done without IP Masquerading?

What I'm trying to do right now is run a Q3Test server on linux so we
can play it together like we used to play games when everything was on
10-base-2

It would be a plus if I could host games on my windoze machine and him
be able to connect to it as well, but I at least want him to be able to
connect to the linux machine...

Thanks for any help in advance...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. anybody seen these kernel faults before?

3. Firewall / Router / Gateway {Linux/*BSD-based}

4. Help! I can't believe I can't do this

5. Minimal modern linux-based router box.

6. Named & Security Help

7. 10 base T vs pre 10 base T

8. Trio32/64: Blank white...rectangle

9. Name-based vs IP based virtual hosts

10. Survey - GUI based admin. vs. text based admin

11. Host-based vs Controller-based RAID

12. Performance of 2.4.17-based Kernel vs 2.5.26-based Kernel Under Database Workload

13. UNIX based vs Window based