cannot download newsgroup list from a nntp server

cannot download newsgroup list from a nntp server

Post by macefind » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,
>  Title says it all.  In short, "LIST" command of nntp protocol doesn't work
>on Linux, while it works on Win98.
>   The trouble is somewhat weird.  Newsgroup list cannot be downloaded by
>netscape or trn or any other news reader programs.  Exactly, downloading
>stops halfway.  I tried "telnet news.tokyo.att.ne.jp(my nntp server)
>119(port # for nntp)" and send "LIST" command, but I got the same result.
>The newsgroup list stops halfway.   However, if I choose a specific
>newsgroup on trn (say, "g alt.os.linux"), I can download and read that
>newsgroup.   And interestingly, this problem does NOT happen on Windows98.
>   And it happens also on other nntp servers also.   I don't have any other
>problems on the Internet (telnet, pop3, http, ftp, smtp, etc. work fine).

>  So I suspect this problem should have something to do with Linux itself.
>I use RH6.1 (English version) and the kernel is 2.2.13.

>   I would appreciate any help I can get...

>Thanks in advance.

rare, mine is rh6.1(2.2.12-20) and i had tried trn and now i'm using slrn with
an open nntpserver, very slow connection, but it works.

1. cannot download newsgroup list from a nntp server

[...]

2. Correct way to start Gnome and Enlightenment?

3. Can't Download Newsgroup Lists

4. Funky RH 7.3 printing problem

5. Setup NNTP server for local (site) newsgroups?

6. GCC for SCO Xenix?

7. Cannot donwload Newsgroup Names List

8. Read Email via Web Page (Info Needed)

9. NNTP fetcher & NNTP server

10. Fetchmail: List Subject:/From: on server without downloading?

11. cannot install Redhat I downloaded from the ftp server

12. Grab newsgroup in nntp world

13. Off-Topic - Any NNTP Specifc newsgroup?