How to allow ftp access and no telnet?

Post by p.. » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
configure this?

Thanks,

--Paul T.

--
.
:

How to allow ftp access and no telnet?

Post by Roman Maj » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

hallo,

: I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
: configure this?
Look to /etc/inetd.conf

Roman.

How to allow ftp access and no telnet?

Post by p.. » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: hallo,

: : I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
: : configure this?
: Look to /etc/inetd.conf

: Roman.

Thanks for the pointer! I didn't clarify my question properly however.
What I need to do is allow telnet and ftp on an account by account basis.
Some accounts should be ftp only, some no ftp or telnet, some ftp and
telnet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Paul T.
--
.
:

Post by Ashok Aiy » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>What I need to do is allow telnet and ftp on an account by account basis.
>Some accounts should be ftp only, some no ftp or telnet, some ftp and
>telnet.

As with most other things there are lots of ways of doing what you
would like to.  I have described a few of these below:

a) Install the admin-shells package.  This is available from
   sunsite.unc.edu and it's mirrors in /pub/Linux/system/Admin/accounts
   Give those ftp-only users the "onlyftp" shell, and add "onlyftp"
   to "/etc/shells".
b) Add the names of the "telnet-only" users /etc/ftpusers
c) Now you have three classes of users:
   1) telnet + ftp:
      regular shell like bash or tcsh
      usernames are not in /etc/ftpusers
   2) ftp only:
      shell like onlyftp
      usernames are not in /etc/ftpusers
   3) telnet only:
      regular shell like bash or tcsh
      usernames are added to /etc/ftpusers

Here is a slighly different way of accomplishing the same goal.  Make
sure that you have installed a very recent version of login.  login is
part of the poeigl package, the latest version of which 1.41.  It is
also available from sunsite or from ftp.daimi.aau.dk in /pub/poe.

This supports the use of a file called "usertty" - the format of which
is described in the poeigl package.  This package will let you configure:
a) users who have access to ttys and ptys
b) users who do not have access ttys and ptys

Add the "ftp-only" users to a class that is not allowed access to
to ttys and ptys.  Add the "telnet-only" users to /etc/ftpusers ...
and you have accomplished your objective .....

Ashok

--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.

University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697

Post by Harald Fuch » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
> configure this?

Comment out the telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf and kill -HUP inetd.

Post by Matthew Smi » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: hallo,

>: : I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
>: : configure this?
>: Look to /etc/inetd.conf

>: Roman.

>Thanks for the pointer! I didn't clarify my question properly however.
>What I need to do is allow telnet and ftp on an account by account basis.
>Some accounts should be ftp only, some no ftp or telnet, some ftp and
>telnet.

Install the shadow password package - this allows use of /etc/porttime
which allows you to specify ports (ttys) and times when users are
allowed to be logged on (telnet/console logins).  Then use the ftpusers
file to restrict ftp access.

This is one of _many_ ways to achieve the same goal - and the one I use
for my dialup servers.

-M

Post by Ahmad Faridzun Misr » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>hallo,

>: I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
>: configure this?
>Look to /etc/inetd.conf
>Roman.

Yes, 2 ways really:
1)look in /etc/inetd.conf and comment out in.telnetd
2)in your /etc/hosts.deny, add "in.telnetd: ALL"

Ahmad

Post by Bl00DLu » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>What I need to do is allow telnet and ftp on an account by account basis.
>>Some accounts should be ftp only, some no ftp or telnet, some ftp and
>>telnet.

>As with most other things there are lots of ways of doing what you
>would like to.  I have described a few of these below:

>a) Install the admin-shells package.  This is available from
>   sunsite.unc.edu and it's mirrors in /pub/Linux/system/Admin/accounts
>   Give those ftp-only users the "onlyftp" shell, and add "onlyftp"
>   to "/etc/shells".
>b) Add the names of the "telnet-only" users /etc/ftpusers
>c) Now you have three classes of users:
>   1) telnet + ftp:
>      regular shell like bash or tcsh
>      usernames are not in /etc/ftpusers
>   2) ftp only:
>      shell like onlyftp
>      usernames are not in /etc/ftpusers
>   3) telnet only:
>      regular shell like bash or tcsh
>      usernames are added to /etc/ftpusers

The way I handle this is very simple. For the login shell i use
/dev/null for users that I do not want to telnet in, ftp will still
work fine.

Post by Voodo » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> : hallo,

> : : I want to allow ftp access to my machine but no telnet. How can I
> : : configure this?
> : Look to /etc/inetd.conf

> : Roman.

> Thanks for the pointer! I didn't clarify my question properly however.
> What I need to do is allow telnet and ftp on an account by account basis.
> Some accounts should be ftp only, some no ftp or telnet, some ftp and
> telnet.

> Thanks for any suggestions.

> --Paul T.
> --
> .
> :

I believe that changing the shell field in the passwd will do
the job.  What we've done is to point the shell field to an executable
that simply does an exit(0).  This way as soon as the user enters a
username and password they are logged out again.

This way when the ftp authenication checks for a valid shell it thinks
it has found one.

hope this helps

RB

1. FTP/Telnet Directory Allow Access

Hello,

Question:   If I have the following directory structure in Apache:
---------

/usr/export/home/username

How can I restrict access to the top-level directories (i.e. - home,
exp, and usr) so that if someone FTP'dor Telnet'd in to a box, they
would only be able to remain in that respective directory (which would
be their home directory - /usr/exp/home/bob) and they would not be able
to move up, simply just remain in that directory & get a Permission
Denied on any of those directories they tried to access).  Also if
possible is there a way to give multiple users their own ROOT access
within their home directory only, and not the rest of the box.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this issue,

-Chad

2. Scaners under linux

3. deny file access in telnet/ftp, but still allow the script to execute?

4. Backup media

5. allow ftp, don't allow telnet

6. Columbus RoadRunner /Linux

7. Allowing telnet to access to selected hosts..

8. HELP: Port XFce to GTK+ Toolkit

9. Newbie: How to allow telnet access to Sol 9

10. HELP: Allowing root access from telnet

11. allowing telnet access

12. Allow remote root access via telnet

13. allowing root telnet access?