Connection Sharing on SuSE 8.2

Post by Chri » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:17:41

Please excuse the basic nature of my question - it is so simple I thought I
would find a solution on many websites and in the halp pages - but have not
found a solution which works!

I wish to use the ISDN connection on my machine as the default connection
for a small home based network. The SuSE site solution is based upon an
older version (personal-firewall) of the distribution than I have (which
uses SuSEFirewall2).

I have tried editing /etc/sysconfig to describe the suitable interfaces and
enable routing but with no success.

Does anyone know of a definitive resource for setting this up?

Best wishes

Chris

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:06:40

> Please excuse the basic nature of my question - it is so simple I thought I
> would find a solution on many websites and in the halp pages - but have not
> found a solution which works!

> I wish to use the ISDN connection on my machine as the default connection
> for a small home based network. The SuSE site solution is based upon an
> older version (personal-firewall) of the distribution than I have (which
> uses SuSEFirewall2).

> I have tried editing /etc/sysconfig to describe the suitable interfaces and
> enable routing but with no success.

> Does anyone know of a definitive resource for setting this up?

You do not want to use personal-firewall, that is just for a single
machine.

You should be able to read & edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 to
configure it for masquerading.  You also have to enable SuSEfirewall2 in
the runlevel editor, and may have to check the box "Enable IP Forwarding"
in YaST2, Network Devices, Network Card, Change, Edit, Routing.  Do not
forget to include the network range you want to masquerade (LAN) in
FW_MASQ_NETS.

I have not done ISDN, but I believe it should automatically refresh to be
properly configured for your ippp0 interface (even if dynamic) from
/etc/ppp/ip-up (or at least it does for ppp and pppoe).

1. Suse 8.2 and wireless pcmcia notebook networking

I recently purchased a no-name notebook computer (from
linuxcertified.com) on which I installed (via ftp download off the web)
Suse 8.2. I took my notebook on a business trip with me, and in the
hotel where I stayed, I could rent a  pcmcia card that allowed me to
connect to the internet through their wireless network. When I got home
I decided to go wireless there as well. I got myself a router (SMC
7004VWBR Barricade) which now interposes itself between my DSL modem and
my 2-computer (workstation + notebook) Linux home network. The wired
(LAN) part works, but unlike the easy experience at the hotel, I'm
having all manner of difficulty getting the wireless part to work. For a
COMPUSA pcmcia card (since returned), Suse 8.2 gave the blunt message:
hardware not supported. Then I tried an SMC card, no luck. Then I tried
a Linksys WPC11 v. 4 card (still have it). YAST recognizes the card and
lets me "configure" it, it gets "hotplugged" on boot-up, but the "link"
light refuses resolutely to come on. No connection. So I emailed the
hotel where I stayed to ask them what card it was that they rented me
that Suse recognized, hotplugged, and connected right away. They replied
saying it was a Compex iWaveport WL11A+ Enhance 11Mbps 802.11b wireless
pcmcia card. I've ordered it, and it should arrive on Monday or Tuesday
next week. If I'm lucky, that should be the end of what turned into a
saga, two days and counting. I didn't realize how lucky I was to stay at
a hotel which, purely by chance it would seem, happened to offer for
rent a wireless card that worked perfectly the first time with my Linux
notebook. If things could always be so easy!

Cheers!
Sidney

2. xterm and other terminal program problems

3. Anyone made Xine to show all DVDs under SuSE 8.2?

4. NIC card install! RealTech RTL8029?

5. SuSE 8.2 and bt878 tv-card(AverTV Go Series)

6. how to compile programs and kernel on a different PC?

7. USB Wireless set up in Suse 8.2

8. Afterstep and RedHat 6.1

9. SuSE 8.2 and Linpoch

10. Install fireware on Linux Suse 8.2

11. Scanner Epson perfection 1670 suse 8.2

12. no screensaver, suspend, after SuSE 8.2/KDE 3.1.1 upgrade

13. automount NFS SuSE 8.2