HELP: No DNS resolution after using linuxconf in RH5.2

HELP: No DNS resolution after using linuxconf in RH5.2

Post by Kevin Ma » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Can anybody help?

Here's the situation...I had my system running just fine (Redhat 5.2)
using dhcp for a cable modem connection.  The only thing bothering me was
waiting for sendmail during bootup.  I decided to use the linuxconf
program to remove sendmail (and named which was also running) from the
startup using the "control service activity" feature in linuxconf.  Now
after making these changes, everything seems to boot up fine.  The
network connection seems to be up...i.e. I can ping and traceroute using
ip addresses...but nothing works using fully qualified domain names.  For
example, when I try "nslookup ftp.cdrom.com" I get:

Quote:>nslookup ftp.cdrom.com

*** Can't find server name for address 24.64.3.139: Non-existent host/domain
*** Can't find server name for address 24.64.3.140: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

The wackiest thing is that all of this worked just fine before.  Any ideas
what happened and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin Mack
University of Saskatchewan

WWW: www.engr.usask.ca/~kem400/
"Geez, I'm so broke now, I can't even afford to pay attention"

HELP: No DNS resolution after using linuxconf in RH5.2

Post by Kevin Ma » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: I don't think you broke anything... You need to modify your
: /etc/resolv.conf. Check `man resolver` for more information. As for
: the sendmail problem, this is a well-known problem. Fortunately, the
: fix is also well-known. Check DejaNews or RedHat's site...

--
Hmmmm....not to be dense or anything, but I don't get what you mean.  Why
do I need to modify my resolv.conf?  Until I made the changes (disabling

domain sshe1.sk.wave.home.com
nameserver 24.64.3.139
nameserver 24.64.3.140

Could you clarify what you mean?

Kevin Mack
University of Saskatchewan

WWW: www.engr.usask.ca/~kem400/
"Geez, I'm so broke now, I can't even afford to pay attention"

HELP: No DNS resolution after using linuxconf in RH5.2

Post by xcit » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On 2 Mar 1999 06:31:33 GMT,
Kevin Mack wrote

  >: I don't think you broke anything... You need to modify your
  >: /etc/resolv.conf. Check `man resolver` for more information. As for
  >: the sendmail problem, this is a well-known problem. Fortunately, the
  >: fix is also well-known. Check DejaNews or RedHat's site...
  >
  >--
  >Hmmmm....not to be dense or anything, but I don't get what you mean.  Why
  >do I need to modify my resolv.conf?  Until I made the changes (disabling
  >sendmail and named), everything was working fine...i.e. domain names were
  >being resolved properly.  Anyways, I can't see anything that needs
  >modification/addition in my resolv.conf:
  >
  >domain sshe1.sk.wave.home.com
  >nameserver 24.64.3.139
  >nameserver 24.64.3.140
  >
  >Could you clarify what you mean?

Well, I guess I meant just check it to make sure it was still set to
what you think it should be. Stopping named should have not stopped
your name resolution from working, since you are not pointing to
yourself. What happens when you run nslookup interactively, ie, with
no arguments? Can you resolve anything? Like this:

Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Quote:> www.linux.org

Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    www.linux.org
Address:  198.182.196.56

--
Never laugh at live dragons.
                -- Bilbo Baggins [J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Hobbit"]

Post by Kevin Ma » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: Well, I guess I meant just check it to make sure it was still set to
: what you think it should be. Stopping named should have not stopped
: your name resolution from working, since you are not pointing to
: yourself. What happens when you run nslookup interactively, ie, with
: no arguments? Can you resolve anything? Like this:

: Default Server:  localhost
: Address:  127.0.0.1

: > www.linux.org
: Server:  localhost
: Address:  127.0.0.1

: Name:    www.linux.org
: Address:  198.182.196.56

: >

--

Well, "nslookup" gives:

*** Can't find server name for address 24.64.3.139: Non-existent host/domain
*** Can't find server name for address 24.64.3.140: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available

Now I know that these were that machines I was previously using under
Linux as nameservers.  I also know that under win95 these two are
currently being used successfully as nameservers.  When I try "ping
24.64.3.139", I find that the machine is up and running...so I don't
understand what it means by "default servers are not available".

When I try "dnsquery -n 24.64.3.139 -d ftp.cdrom.com" as a test, I get:

;; res_querydomain(ftp.cdrom.com, <Nil>, 1, 255)
;; res_query(ftp.cdrom.com, 1, 255)
;; res_mkquery(0, ftp.cdrom.com, 1, 255)
;; res_send()
;; flags: rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;;      ftp.cdrom.com, type = ANY, class = IN
;; Querying server (# 1) address = 24.64.3.139
;; timeout
;; Querying server (# 1) address = 24.64.3.139
;; timeout
;; Querying server (# 1) address = 24.64.3.139

It appears that although the machine 24.64.3.139 is functional, it
apparently does not want to talk to my machine now.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Kevin

Kevin Mack
University of Saskatchewan

WWW: www.engr.usask.ca/~kem400/
"Geez, I'm so broke now, I can't even afford to pay attention"

1. Installing DNS using Linuxconf help please

I am looking for an article describing the installation of DNS using the
linuxconf utility, I have tried to write the files by hand but without
success.

Can anyone suggest a site, or paper that will enable me to install a primary
dns server quickly and easily.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

2. Be paid for receiving e-mail !

3. DNS problems using Win98/Sygate with RH5.2

4. Defining router on a Blade with Solaris 8

5. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

6. help

7. compiling linuxconf 1.9 on RH5,2

8. Enable TTY?

9. Help: In RH5.1, DNS can see everyone but own ISP

10. help with pthreads & DNS Resolution

11. RH5.2 linuxconf & control-panel

12. Need help with DNS resolution

13. Web based linuxconf under RH5.1