Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:36:28

Hi,
I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server running
on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try to
connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
Thanks

Michael

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by $c$1ta9 » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:13:16

check that your telnet service is actually running at your in a command
windows type "/etc/init.d/./telnet status"
if the status is stopped or not running type "/etc/init.d/./telnet start"
this starts the service, to get the service to start when you boot edit
/etc/init.d/telnet and where it says "disable = yes" change it to "disable =
no" or run setup and make sure it's checked for startup.

Post by Georg Armbruste » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:39:34

> [...] I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
> share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
> tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????

Hi Michael,
have you checked whether the services are really running?
If you are unsure, do a nmap to your interface.

Do you use tcpwrappers and disabled access to some
services in /etc/hosts.deny?

Hope this helps :)
Georg

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:27:38

Unable to locate telnet in /etc/init.d/
It is "disable=no"

Quote:> check that your telnet service is actually running at your in a command
> windows type "/etc/init.d/./telnet status"
> if the status is stopped or not running type "/etc/init.d/./telnet start"
> this starts the service, to get the service to start when you boot edit
> /etc/init.d/telnet and where it says "disable = yes" change it to "disable
=
> no" or run setup and make sure it's checked for startup.

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Tim Sampso » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:39:15

Firewall settings on the XP box?

Tim S

Quote:> Hi,
> I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server
running
> on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try
> connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
> connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
> share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
> tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
> Thanks

> Michael

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:22:36

Tim
I checked them.
I had Zone Alarm running when i was using the XP machine as ICS. It doesn't
load anymore. Windows Firewall is off.

> Firewall settings on the XP box?

> Tim S

> > Hi,
> > I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server
> running
> > on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try
> > connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
> > connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
> > share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
> > tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
> > Thanks

> > Michael

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Mike » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 23:14:39

Have you checked if there is any kind of firewall running on the linux
box?  What version/distro are you running of Linux?  I know that later
versions of Red Hat can sometimes put up a default firewall when you
install it.

Just a thought

Mike

Post by Ronald Hand » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 05:37:45

> Unable to locate telnet in /etc/init.d/

    I think the file you're looking for should be in the /etc/xinetd.d
directory.

-- Ron

Post by Denis Ler » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:47:38

> Hi,
> I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server running
> on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try to
> connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
> connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
> share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
> tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
> Thanks

> Michael

Can you provide the output of the two following commands :

  cat /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
  ipchains -L

Also, can you telnet to yourself (NOT through the localhost, by
telnet'ing directly to your external IP addrss).

-denis

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:18:45

Hi Denis,
Here are the returns
1.
#default: on
#Decription: the telnet server serves telnet sessions; it uses \
#          unencryted username/password pairs for authentication.
service telnet
{
             disable=no
             flags                  =REUSE
             socket_type      = stream
             wait                  = no
             user                  = root
             server               = /user/sbin/in.telnetd
             log_on_failure   += USERID

Quote:}

2.
command not found

can u offer me a solution from that.
I think the server isn't running ATM as i can't c in.telnetd running in the
processes. But ssh is running.

Michael

Quote:> > Hi,
> > I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server
running
> > on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but when i try
> > connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could not open
> > connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping the box,
> > share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet or ssh. I
> > tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
> > Thanks

> > Michael

> Can you provide the output of the two following commands :

>   cat /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
>   ipchains -L

> Also, can you telnet to yourself (NOT through the localhost, by
> telnet'ing directly to your external IP addrss).

> -denis

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:26:43

Hi Mike,
I am running Red Hat 7.3. I have ipchains and iptables off in the boot list.
i am running a custom firewall script. I am able to surf web from XP machine
thru linux box. I can webmin linux box. What is this ip6tables?????

Michael

> Have you checked if there is any kind of firewall running on the linux
> box?  What version/distro are you running of Linux?  I know that later
> versions of Red Hat can sometimes put up a default firewall when you
> install it.

> Just a thought

> Mike

> > Hi,
> > I am having some trouble doing the above:( I have the telnet server
> > running on RedHat 7.3. I can connect from the linux box to itself but
> > when i try to connect from the XP machine to the Linux box i get "Could
> > not open connection to the host, on port 23. I can Webmin the box, ping
> > the box, share it PPP modem connection but i can't connect with Telnet
> > or ssh. I tried Putty but no luck also. What could be the problem????
> > Thanks

> > Michael

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:31:37

Update
in.telnetd is running and showing my windows XP box ip address as connected
to it. I am currently connected thru wedmin with the telnet option in
webmin. It works from there. As soon as i disconnect from telnet in webmin i
lose in.telnetd in running processes.
What does this mean?

Michael

Post by Denis Ler » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:27:35

> Update
> in.telnetd is running and showing my windows XP box ip address as connected
> to it. I am currently connected thru wedmin with the telnet option in
> webmin. It works from there. As soon as i disconnect from telnet in webmin i
> lose in.telnetd in running processes.
> What does this mean?

This is the expected behavior. Telnet is managed by xinetd. That means
the telnet daemon is run on-demand by xinetd when it sees a connection
on the telnet port. Otherwise, it won't be there.

BTW, the command 'ipchains -L' has to be run as root. It'll show your
firewall setup, which most likely is blocking incoming SSH and telnet
ports. Contact me directly if you need more help.

Unable to Telnet or Ssh from Windows XP into a Linux box.

Post by Michael » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:32:30

Thanks Guys

I worked it out. The linux box was working correctly but it ended up being
the leftovers from Zone Alarm Pro on my Windows XP machine not letting me
out. I had shut down ZA Pro but I eneded up uninstalling it and it all
worked correctly.
Thanks again for helping a newbie.

Michael

Quote:> > Update
> > in.telnetd is running and showing my windows XP box ip address as
connected
> > to it. I am currently connected thru wedmin with the telnet option in
> > webmin. It works from there. As soon as i disconnect from telnet in
webmin i
> > lose in.telnetd in running processes.
> > What does this mean?

> This is the expected behavior. Telnet is managed by xinetd. That means
> the telnet daemon is run on-demand by xinetd when it sees a connection
> on the telnet port. Otherwise, it won't be there.

> BTW, the command 'ipchains -L' has to be run as root. It'll show your
> firewall setup, which most likely is blocking incoming SSH and telnet
> ports. Contact me directly if you need more help.

1. Unable to telnet a Linux Box from a Windows 2000 Server

Hi guys!

I just setup a new Red HAt Linux 7.1 box at home and I created a small
network with a crossover cable to my Windows 2000 box. I have assigned
a private address to my Linux box, 172.25.25.25 and 172.25.25.26  for
my Win box.

I was able to ping both these machines, I was able to telnet my Win
machine but for whatever reason I cannot telnet the linux machine on
any port. I can telent the Linux machine from the linux terminal so
the telnet process is actually working. I know telnet is listening,
httpd is listening and some other port like 22 is open. I even scanned
the linux box and I saw the ports open.
I've tried PUTTY as well, didn't work. When using telnet from Windows,
the message returned was: Connecting to 172.25.25.25......  Could not
open a connection to host on port 23.. Connect failed.

The Windows box is connected to the inernet and has 2 NICs. No routing
service is working.
In short, the only communication between the two boxes is ping at this
moment.

Thanks for reading,
hopefully you can give me a hint..

Tavi

2. /bin/sln

3. Cannot telnet to a uClinux box from Windows XP

4. modeline for iiyama vision master

5. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

6. Kill a process?

7. Unable to telnet into Linux box

8. X Programming guide?

9. Unable to telnet to linux box.

10. Unable to telnet into linux box

11. Telnet from Windows XP into RH Linux through VPN

12. Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box

13. Unable to Telnet into new RH5.1 Linux box