newby: connect a linux-pc with another one using windows

newby: connect a linux-pc with another one using windows

Post by mondspe » Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:57:44

Hi to everyone in this group,

I'm using windows 98 in my office (don't flame me, I need special
applications that won't run under linux.)

Now I'd like to setup another pc using linux to acces the internet and
read my email.

And here comes the question: How do I build a lan connecting my new
linux-pc with my old windows-pc? Can I use any linux distribution? I
have the eays-linux-project, 'cause it was on an magazine-cd.

Hope anybody can help me.

Greetings out of *space,
mondspeer

(please reply in the newsgroup only.)

Post by Mauria » Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:26:32

> Hi to everyone in this group,

> I'm using windows 98 in my office (don't flame me, I need special
> applications that won't run under linux.)

> Now I'd like to setup another pc using linux to acces the internet and
> read my email.

> And here comes the question: How do I build a lan connecting my new
> linux-pc with my old windows-pc? Can I use any linux distribution? I
> have the eays-linux-project, 'cause it was on an magazine-cd.

> Hope anybody can help me.

> Greetings out of *space,
> mondspeer

> (please reply in the newsgroup only.)

If your office workspace has a standard lan and you use a DHCP server on
the lan, then linux will connect to the internet just like any other
computer. Any distro would work, however it will probably be easier if
you find a newer one that matches the hardware you have.

To access files between a linux and windows pc, you need Samba (comes
standard will almost all distros). Look online for more info on Samba.

--

Mauriat
----------------------------

Post by Mark P » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 05:07:03

> And here comes the question: How do I build a lan connecting my new
> linux-pc with my old windows-pc?

Use samba and RTFM.

Web Site:
http://www.samba.org/

Documentation:
http://samba.linuxforum.net/samba/docs/

Quote:> Can I use any linux distribution?

Use Debian GNU/Linux

Post by James Knot » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:34:25

> Hi to everyone in this group,

> I'm using windows 98 in my office (don't flame me, I need special
> applications that won't run under linux.)

You might want to look at Win4Lin.  It lets you run Windows 98 as an app
under Linux

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by mondspe » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:05:21

> If your office workspace has a standard lan and you use a DHCP server on
> the lan, then linux will connect to the internet just like any other
> computer. Any distro would work, however it will probably be easier if
> you find a newer one that matches the hardware you have.

Well, the hardware isn't that new. *grin*

Quote:> To access files between a linux and windows pc, you need Samba (comes
> standard will almost all distros). Look online for more info on Samba.

There ain't no lan by now, I will have to build one by myself.
Thanks for your answer.

I'm going to try it.

Greetings out of *space,
mondspeer

(please answer in the newsgroup)

Post by mondspe » Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:58:23

> You might want to look at Win4Lin.  It lets you run Windows 98 as an app
> under Linux

Thanks for the information, but for the moment it seems to be to
expensive for my small one-man-office. But who knows how thing are
gonna develop.

Tanks anyway to all who helped.

Greetings out of *space,
Mondspeer

(Please send your answers to the newsgroup only.)