Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Warren Postm » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 14:41:21

I have a complex network setup on a RedHat 7.0 linux box. I am trying to
troubleshoot a Very Slow Linux FTP Server.  The wu-ftpd 2.6 server on my
linux box is not serving up files faster than 64 kb/s, and only works if I
use an FTP client where I can force a limit to throughput of 64 kb/s or
less. If I use the command line FTP client, I can't get files to transfer at
all.

I have a Windows 2000 network client using LeechFTP, a nice FTP Client for
windows, that allows you to throttle your FTP download speed to a maximum of
say, 16 kb/s.  If I set that limit before I start a download, of 16 kb/s,
then the download will proceed at a steady pace, at 16 kb/s. If  I set the
limit to 64 kb/s, it proceeds at 64 kb/s.  If I remove the limit altogether,
the file transfer stops.  This weird behaviour only applies to my local
Linux box. Any downloads through the Linux box out to the internet, via IP
Masquerading, are working just fine.  FTP from my windows client machine out
through linux IP masquerading, to an Internet FTP host like ftp.cdrom.com,
regularly exceeds 100 kb/s in speed, and has no problems.

It's only from my local LAN Client (Windows 2000) to my local LAN server
(RedHat 7.0) that the FTP is so slow.

Details: RedHat 7, kernel 2.2.17, on 486/66 box (with Pentium Overdrive
chip), 32 megs RAM.
CPU usage on the linux box stays consistently low, and does not exceed 50%
total usage, even when FTP is in progress.

I have tried the following:
- removed all ip_masq_* Modules using rmmod
- Only bring up eth1, which is the local internal LAN (on subnet
10.42.42.xx)
- Bring up both ETH0 and ETH1, but don't enable IP Masquerading
- Tried starting up SAMBA, it runs so slowly as to be unusable as well, and
Windows has timeouts trying to access SAMBA.
- Tried accesing the FTP server via its local ethernet IP (10.42.42.2) and
its Internet IP (24.xx.yy.zz) and got the same slow rate of transfer and
"apparent LAN freezeup".

I am completely stumped. I have set up other FTP Servers before and they've
always performed well on the local LAN. What's going on?  How can I diagnose
this?  It's not just SLOW it freezes up.

Warren Postma

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Michael Loustea » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:24:23

I came here to post an identical question, and I hope someone has a decent
answer.

I do have one additional thing to throw in the mix....my masqing box and my
windows box are connected directly to one another with a crossover cable.
How can two boxes connected to one another at 100mb be so slow to one
another but so fast to the outside?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:> I have a complex network setup on a RedHat 7.0 linux box. I am trying to
> troubleshoot a Very Slow Linux FTP Server.  The wu-ftpd 2.6 server on my
> linux box is not serving up files faster than 64 kb/s, and only works if I
> use an FTP client where I can force a limit to throughput of 64 kb/s or
> less. If I use the command line FTP client, I can't get files to transfer
at
> all.

> I have a Windows 2000 network client using LeechFTP, a nice FTP Client for
> windows, that allows you to throttle your FTP download speed to a maximum
of
> say, 16 kb/s.  If I set that limit before I start a download, of 16 kb/s,
> then the download will proceed at a steady pace, at 16 kb/s. If  I set the
> limit to 64 kb/s, it proceeds at 64 kb/s.  If I remove the limit
altogether,
> the file transfer stops.  This weird behaviour only applies to my local
> Linux box. Any downloads through the Linux box out to the internet, via IP
> Masquerading, are working just fine.  FTP from my windows client machine
out
> through linux IP masquerading, to an Internet FTP host like ftp.cdrom.com,
> regularly exceeds 100 kb/s in speed, and has no problems.

> It's only from my local LAN Client (Windows 2000) to my local LAN server
> (RedHat 7.0) that the FTP is so slow.

> Details: RedHat 7, kernel 2.2.17, on 486/66 box (with Pentium Overdrive
> chip), 32 megs RAM.
> CPU usage on the linux box stays consistently low, and does not exceed 50%
> total usage, even when FTP is in progress.

> I have tried the following:
> - removed all ip_masq_* Modules using rmmod
> - Only bring up eth1, which is the local internal LAN (on subnet
> 10.42.42.xx)
> - Bring up both ETH0 and ETH1, but don't enable IP Masquerading
> - Tried starting up SAMBA, it runs so slowly as to be unusable as well,
and
> Windows has timeouts trying to access SAMBA.
> - Tried accesing the FTP server via its local ethernet IP (10.42.42.2) and
> its Internet IP (24.xx.yy.zz) and got the same slow rate of transfer and
> "apparent LAN freezeup".

> I am completely stumped. I have set up other FTP Servers before and
they've
> always performed well on the local LAN. What's going on?  How can I
diagnose
> this?  It's not just SLOW it freezes up.

> Warren Postma

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Aaron Mitchel » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 07:15:54

I have a similar problem.  I have a Linux server and several Windows
computers.  The Linux server has two ethernet cards and is set up as a
firewall.  All the computers on the net are in the /etc/hosts file and port
113 is not blocked.  However mail, samba, telnet, etc. are still slow to the
local LAN.  The outside world however can access the mail server and telnet
almost immediately.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on my problem.

Thanks,

Aaron Mitchell

> [...]

> > 10.42.42.xx)
> > - Bring up both ETH0 and ETH1, but don't enable IP Masquerading
> > - Tried starting up SAMBA, it runs so slowly as to be unusable as well,
> and
> > Windows has timeouts trying to access SAMBA.
> > - Tried accesing the FTP server via its local ethernet IP (10.42.42.2)
and
> > its Internet IP (24.xx.yy.zz) and got the same slow rate of transfer and
> > "apparent LAN freezeup".

> > I am completely stumped. I have set up other FTP Servers before and
> they've
> > always performed well on the local LAN. What's going on?  How can I
> diagnose
> > this?  It's not just SLOW it freezes up.

> > Warren Postma

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Craig Newstro » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 16:06:14

How is telneting to the Linux box from the local LAN?  My guess is that it's
slow.
This would be a resolution problem.  The easy way to tell is to mv your
/etc/resolv.conf
to /etc/resolv.conf.orig (don't just delete it) and then try the telnet or
ftp from your local
LAN.  If the speed is suddenly quicker, you just need to configure DNS
properly
on the Linux box.

Hope this helps.

> [...]

> > > - Bring up both ETH0 and ETH1, but don't enable IP Masquerading
> > > - Tried starting up SAMBA, it runs so slowly as to be unusable as
well,
> > and
> > > Windows has timeouts trying to access SAMBA.
> > > - Tried accesing the FTP server via its local ethernet IP (10.42.42.2)
> and
> > > its Internet IP (24.xx.yy.zz) and got the same slow rate of transfer
and
> > > "apparent LAN freezeup".

> > > I am completely stumped. I have set up other FTP Servers before and
> > they've
> > > always performed well on the local LAN. What's going on?  How can I
> > diagnose
> > > this?  It's not just SLOW it freezes up.

> > > Warren Postma

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Michael Loustea » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 07:59:31

Your test worked, and I am about to set up DNS on the machine.  One question
first if you don't mind.

I have the one host on my LAN in my etc/hosts file.  I thought that having
it listed there would make it resolve correctly so I wouldn't have to run
DNS.
Indeed, a ping from the linux box to the hostname does correctly resolve.
Is it just that /etc/hosts isn'tused in reverse domain resolution?

thanks.

this group rules.

> How is telneting to the Linux box from the local LAN?  My guess is that
it's
> slow.
> This would be a resolution problem.  The easy way to tell is to mv your
> /etc/resolv.conf
> to /etc/resolv.conf.orig (don't just delete it) and then try the telnet or
> ftp from your local
> LAN.  If the speed is suddenly quicker, you just need to configure DNS
> properly
> on the Linux box.

> Hope this helps.

> > I have a similar problem.  I have a Linux server and several Windows
> > computers.  The Linux server has two ethernet cards and is set up as a
> > firewall.  All the computers on the net are in the /etc/hosts file and
> port
> > 113 is not blocked.  However mail, samba, telnet, etc. are still slow to
> the
> > local LAN.  The outside world however can access the mail server and
> telnet
> > almost immediately.

> > Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on my problem.

> > Thanks,

> > Aaron Mitchell

> > > I came here to post an identical question, and I hope someone has a
> decent
> > > answer.

> > > I do have one additional thing to throw in the mix....my masqing box
and
> > my
> > > windows box are connected directly to one another with a crossover
> cable.
> > > How can two boxes connected to one another at 100mb be so slow to one
> > > another but so fast to the outside?

> > > Thanks in advance.

> my
> if
> or
> > transfer
> > > at

Client
> > for
> > maximum
> > > of
> > kb/s,
> > the
> > > altogether,
> local
> via
> > IP
> machine
> > > out
> > ftp.cdrom.com,

> server

> Overdrive
> > 50%

> well,
> > > and
> > and
> and

> > > they've
> > > diagnose

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 12:32:01

Hi Michael,

Quote:> Your test worked, and I am about to set up DNS on the machine.  One
> question first if you don't mind.

> I have the one host on my LAN in my etc/hosts file.  I thought that having
> it listed there would make it resolve correctly so I wouldn't have to run
> DNS. Indeed, a ping from the linux box to the hostname does correctly
> resolve. Is it just that /etc/hosts isn'tused in reverse domain resolution?

The "/etc/hosts" file is local to the machine that has that file.  As a
result, if someone else wants to get to that machine they either have to have
an entry in their /etc/hosts file or reference the name or IP to the DNS
server for resolution.

A "/etc/hosts" file can be used for reverse lookups but like I mentioned
earlier, it would only allow that machine to do the reverse lookup.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Michael Loustea » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:31:15

Let me see if I can explain my situation more clearly, I know you're ready
to help, and I feel bad that maybe I haven't given good enough
information... I am sure Dean is sick of talking about the /etc/hosts file,
as I have noticed it in many of his reponses.  I really hope i am not
walking in circles or asking too many questions.

anyways, here we go...

Linux box is RH 6.2, it's the lan firewall and masquerades for the other
machine.
Other machine is Win 2000, 192.168.0.2 on the local net work.

Masqing works fine, the Win box gets good speeds from the internet.

the windows box IS in the linux box's /etc/hosts file, and FTP is still dirt
slow on transfers.  When I log into the ftp server from the windows box, the
hostname seems to resolve fine (I run ftpwho on the linux box and it shows
the correct hostname for my login).

Earlier today, I renamed the resolv.conf file as someone recommended to test
to see if resolving was the problem, the connection was blazing fast all of
a sudden. So I took the group's advice and set up DNS the linux machine
according to the HOWTOs online.  The nameserver resolves the address for the
windows box fine in both directions, but the tranfers still crawl.  What's
more, moving the resolv.conf file no longer speeds things up, and, although
dns entries pop up quickly with nslookup in the shell, I swear my internet
applications are running slower.

Anybody have any ideas?  In too deep to give up now!

Thanks so much!

Quote:

> Hi Michael,

> > Your test worked, and I am about to set up DNS on the machine.  One
> > question first if you don't mind.

> > I have the one host on my LAN in my etc/hosts file.  I thought that
having
> > it listed there would make it resolve correctly so I wouldn't have to
run
> > DNS. Indeed, a ping from the linux box to the hostname does correctly
> > resolve. Is it just that /etc/hosts isn'tused in reverse domain
resolution?

> The "/etc/hosts" file is local to the machine that has that file.  As a
> result, if someone else wants to get to that machine they either have to
have
> an entry in their /etc/hosts file or reference the name or IP to the DNS
> server for resolution.

> A "/etc/hosts" file can be used for reverse lookups but like I mentioned
> earlier, it would only allow that machine to do the reverse lookup.

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

> | Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> | PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> | School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> | MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> | Melbourne, Australia       |

Very Slow FTP on Local LAN Linux server/masquerading box, but internet FTP is fine.

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 16:37:41

Hi Michael and possibly Gord,

  The problem that you refer to is more of one of throughput throughout the
network.  I am not exactally sure what hardware you have but in a number of
other posts scattered all around the net, there are a number of people who
suggest the following as possibilities to solve your problem, although no one
solution stands out:

   * Check your network cards and make sure that full duplex is not enabled
      on them.  For some reason this keeps coming back to the 3COM series of
      cards although I am not sure
   * Check the cabling on the network to ensure there are no faulty
      connections
   * Use two network cards for your network (one inbound, one outbound) which
      you are using
   * Check for any excessive collisions on the network which might indiciate
      a problem is lurking around
   * Make sure that the domain names resolve (we all know about that one :))
   * Make sure that all the network gear is happily talking to one another
      (Eg. a switch and a network card are operating in different modes, or
            a uplink cable or computer is connected into the wrong socket)
   * Recompile the kernel to be lean with regards to the amount of stuff that
      it has loaded into it currently.  You might even like to take a look
      at the LRP and see whether or not you can setup a disk on a floppy and
      see whether it provides better performance.  The LRP would be stream-
      lined for routing and IP forwarding I would think
   * Play with the various MTU's on the machines

Apart from this, I can't really find/think of anything else that you might be
able to do to speed up the throughout of your network.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Gord Peter » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 06:36:33

> Hi Michael and possibly Gord,

>   The problem that you refer to is more of one of throughput throughout
>   the
> network.  I am not exactally sure what hardware you have but in a number
> of other posts scattered all around the net, there are a number of
> people who suggest the following as possibilities to solve your problem,
> although no one solution stands out:

>    * Check your network cards and make sure that full duplex is not
>    enabled
>       on them.  For some reason this keeps coming back to the 3COM
>       series of cards although I am not sure

<snip>

Yup, that was my problem, only not because of the 3Com card.  The old ISA
NE2000 card in my NAT box was stuck in full duplex mode (with no way to
change it to half duplex).  My ethernet hub, however, runs exclusively in
half duplex mode.

I found this out by switching the LAN connection to be on the 3Com card
instead of the NE2000 card.  Everything worked fine when I did that.  So
today I went out and picked up another 3Com card, replaced the old NE2000
card, and now everything on my LAN is working perfectly.

Thanks for your help Dean.

        Gord

PS. In case anyone is interested, I found some useful tools for diagnosing
network problems at http://www.scyld.com/diag/
I used the NE2000 detection and diagnostic program to determine that  my
NE2000 network card was stuck in full duplex mode.

1. FTP to local Linux 7 server failed while Linux server is connecting to the Internet

Hi,
I have set up a local network at home with only 2 computers(no hub).
One is running on Linux 7 as the internet gateway, and the other is
running on Win98. When the Linux server is not connecting to the
internet through Rogers cable. I can telnet and ftp to my Linux server
from Win98 and there is no problem at all.
But when the Linux is connectin to the internet, I cannot ftp to my
Linux server. There is no error message and it seems to be idle for a
while and disconnected because of timeout. However, the telnet to
Linux is still working and the web browsing and web ftp are working
fine on Win98. So I got very confused.
I only use local IP address to try the ftp, since I didn't setup DNS
on my Linux. Also, I use the rc.firewall file on my Linux server to do
the IP forwarding.

Any help will be very appreciate.

Thanks.
Wilson

2. How slow are ipchain entries?

3. VERY slow FTP uploads, downloads are fine --ppp or ftp setup problem?

4. blastwav, pkg-get, and sunfreeware

5. FTP/HTTP transfer rate slows down w/ time through LINUX BOX & IP Masquerading...

6. Tape Backup Woes

7. Redhat FTP slow on local lan

8. Plugins WORD and EXCEL

9. Fast FTP Client-Slow FTP Server

10. Errors accessing ftp servers from a masqueraded lan

11. telnet, ftp fine for win95, not linux box

12. RH FTP server in Local lan???

13. FTP Server behind IP Masquerading Box?