Newbie question...configuring kernel

Post by no sp » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to use the 'make config' command.
I have the source code for 2.2.15 in the following directory already
/usr/src/linux

I read the HOWTO-Kernel
and even downloaded linux-2.2.15 and tarred the gz file into the linux
directory with command tar zxpvf linux-
  x.y.z.tar.gz

Shouldn't that be it?  Everytime I do a 'make <whatever>' command I
get:

bash: make: command not found

Any suggestions?  It's late and I'm not thinking properly anymore.

Thanks,

WW

Post by Ken Johnso » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm trying to use the 'make config' command.
> I have the source code for 2.2.15 in the following directory already
> /usr/src/linux

> I read the HOWTO-Kernel
> and even downloaded linux-2.2.15 and tarred the gz file into the linux
> directory with command tar zxpvf linux-
>   x.y.z.tar.gz

> Shouldn't that be it?  Everytime I do a 'make <whatever>' command I
> get:

> bash: make: command not found

> Any suggestions?  It's late and I'm not thinking properly anymore.

Apparently, when you orininally installed Linux, you did not install the
"development" and "kernel development" packages, and therefore you have
no compiler.

K.

Post by Tom East » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I'm trying to use the 'make config' command.
>I have the source code for 2.2.15 in the following directory already
>/usr/src/linux

I would advise you to download 2.2.16 -- 2.2.15 showed very poor VM
performance under some circumstances.

>I read the HOWTO-Kernel
>and even downloaded linux-2.2.15 and tarred the gz file into the linux
>directory with command tar zxpvf linux-
>  x.y.z.tar.gz

>Shouldn't that be it?  Everytime I do a 'make <whatever>' command I
>get:

>bash: make: command not found

>Any suggestions?  It's late and I'm not thinking properly anymore.

Sounds like you don't have "make" installed.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

Newbie question...configuring kernel

Post by Gerald Waug » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Sometimes you have to use /bin/make or check/set your $PATH string,
Also I don't seem to recall, but you may have to be logged in as root.

> > Hello,

> > I'm trying to use the 'make config' command.
> > I have the source code for 2.2.15 in the following directory already
> > /usr/src/linux

> > I read the HOWTO-Kernel
> > and even downloaded linux-2.2.15 and tarred the gz file into the linux
> > directory with command tar zxpvf linux-
> >   x.y.z.tar.gz

> > Shouldn't that be it?  Everytime I do a 'make <whatever>' command I
> > get:

> > bash: make: command not found

> > Any suggestions?  It's late and I'm not thinking properly anymore.

> Apparently, when you orininally installed Linux, you did not install the
> "development" and "kernel development" packages, and therefore you have
> no compiler.

> K.

Newbie question...configuring kernel

Post by Robie Bas » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:20:24 GMT, no spam said:

Quote:>Hello,

>I'm trying to use the 'make config' command.

Use 'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig' - these alternatives are far
easier to use.

>I have the source code for 2.2.15 in the following directory already
>/usr/src/linux

>I read the HOWTO-Kernel
>and even downloaded linux-2.2.15 and tarred the gz file into the linux
>directory with command tar zxpvf linux-
>  x.y.z.tar.gz

>Shouldn't that be it?  Everytime I do a 'make <whatever>' command I
>get:

>bash: make: command not found

>Any suggestions?  It's late and I'm not thinking properly anymore.

You don't have GNU make installed. You haven't said which distribution
you are using, try and find out which package /usr/bin/make or
/usr/bin/gmake is in and install that. You will also need to install
the C compiler and other utilities if they are not already.

Robie.
--

Newbie question...configuring kernel

Post by spam_me_and_i'll_kill_y » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Ken,

Damn... you're right.  I didn't install the "development" or "kernel
development" package at the time of install.  I wanted to save drive
space and figured I didn't really need it.  *

Is there a way I can instll the development package after I've
installed Linux already?

I'm using Redhat 6.0 and I have the kernel 2.2.15 now with the source
code already in my /usr/src/linux directory.

Thanks for the quick response

WW

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 15:01:20 GMT, Ken Johnson

Post by Ken Johnso » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Ken,

> Damn... you're right.  I didn't install the "development" or "kernel
> development" package at the time of install.  I wanted to save drive
> space and figured I didn't really need it.  *

> Is there a way I can instll the development package after I've
> installed Linux already?

I think there may be several packages involved but have no idea which
ones...  I'm kinda hoping someone else in the group has this info.   You
might be able to use the "upgrade" option from the installation CDROM to
avoid re-formatting and starting over, but I've never done this.

Quote:> I'm using Redhat 6.0 and I have the kernel 2.2.15 now with the source
> code already in my /usr/src/linux directory.

I think Tom suggested to bag .15 and go get 2.2.16 and (based on my
experiences with RH 6.2) this is a good idea.

K.

1. Help-A-Newbie(tm) RH 4.2: Configure/Build/Install new kernel always fails

Hi Tim,

I've been having basically similar problems on my dual PPro system.
I've been trying to configure my machine for SMP under RH4.2 for the
last few days. Everything works fine, except at boot I get a bunch
of "insmod:  Can't find blah" messages, ending with ... "your symbols
in /lib/modules/2.0.30/ don't match." It sounds like we're having the
same problem (mine appear to be related to the PPP-interface, I think)

Since we're both using RH4.2, I wonder if our kernel source is somehow
less than pristine. I'm going to try updating my kernel source tree
tonight.

If you somehow solve your problem, please let me know. I'm having it
too...

Thanks,

another *nix guy still figuring out this Linux thing.

--
|"I wanna decide who lives and who dies" - Crow T. Robot, MST3K      |

2. RH7 UpdateAgent - broken irreparibly?

3. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

4. AMD 33C93 SCSI driver

5. newbie question: configuring keyboard

6. Printer Help

7. Configuring PCCARD Slots (Newbie Question)

8. rdist and hard links

9. Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

10. Newbie question on configuring a printer

11. How to configure Sounds on Linux (newbie question)

12. Newbie PHP configure error question

13. Newbie server configure questions...