Looking up IP address via MAC address

Post by ho.. » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Is there a way for one to lookup an IP adress using MAC
address? Are there utilities out there, short of writing
one's own prg?

TIA,
Hoang

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:45:44

>Is there a way for one to lookup an IP adress using MAC
>address? Are there utilities out there, short of writing
>one's own prg?

this will only work for one's own network. Only on your local segment
are the arp tables used.
arp -a will tell you all themachines your machine knows about.

Post by Van » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:49:12

> Is there a way for one to lookup an IP adress using MAC
> address? Are there utilities out there, short of writing
> one's own prg?

> TIA,
> Hoang

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hoang,

If you use the command "arp -n > arp.txt", you can dump the arp table on
your Linux system into a file.  Then look through the file
or grep the file "grep <mac address> arp.txt" to locate the IP address.

Also, a most packet sniffers will create a address mapping table that lists
MAC addresses and their associated IP addresses.
An example of this would be TTC's Fireberd.

Most routers will display this info as well.  On a Cisco router, type "show
ip arp H.H.H" where H.H.H is the 48 bit hardware address.

Van

Post by Les Mikesel » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 12:54:51

> Is there a way for one to lookup an IP adress using MAC
> address? Are there utilities out there, short of writing
> one's own prg?

One approach is to run 'arpwatch' which will accumulate a table of
MAC<->IP addresses.

  Les Mikesell

1. WANTED: pingmac <IP ADDR> which returns <MAC ADDRESS of IP ADDRESS>

Hello!

I know this can be done by way of ping/arp at the solaris command line
or via a script, OR via system() calls.  Does anyone know of someone's
efforts to whip this up in an actual executable?  The goal of the
program is to work like this:

PINGMAC 137.204.192.19 (dilbert): MAC ADDRESS of dilbert is:
08:0e:10:02:12:1e

I know there are practical limitations like: MUST BE ON SAME SUBNET
and stuff like this.  BUT does anyone know of a pgm like this, or
might be able to point me somewhere that might?

Tx!

  -Scott

2. book on x-windows

3. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

4. Installing FreeBSD - Newbie

5. Binding a single IP Address to two different MAC addresses

6. Input/Output error when using setserial while trying to set up modem need help

7. Determining IP address from MAC address

8. Oracle traffic & the SP switch

9. MAC Address From IP Address

10. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

11. using mac address instead of an IP address of hostname

12. how to convert mac address to ip address

13. new IP address for the same MAC address