(GDF) Routers and Routing-Where is the Bible?

(GDF) Routers and Routing-Where is the Bible?

Post by the softr » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:40:51

I have a hardware router connecting two Linux boxes and three Windoze boxes.
Ping works. All the boxes are in /etc/hosts on both Linux boxes. I cannot get
NFS to work between the two Linux boxes. The RedHat 7.1 Linux box forgets
about the RedHat 6.2 Linux box across a re-boot until I re-update its router
table.

I don't really know what I am doing here. Most of my experiments fail and
as I said, NFS doesn't work (some witticism about RPC not accepted).

Please help. All the info you have about using a hardware router may help.
Also an understanding of the router tables. (There are entries therein I don't
comprehend. And what's a 'gateway' for what? The router also connects to my DSL
modem which works for the two Linux boxes and the Windoze boxes.)

--
the softrat

Post by Markus Boehme » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:54:38

> I don't really know what I am doing here. Most of my experiments fail and
> as I said, NFS doesn't work (some witticism about RPC not accepted).

You have no routing problem as far as I can see.
You have a NFS problem.
http://www.linuxdoc.org
Inform yourself about NFS, and about why you have to start a NFS server
on a minimum of one machine, how to mount a NFS share, how to setuo
shares and how to compile NFS into the linux kernel.

Greetings
Markus

P.S.:A Gateway in a routing table is a router

--
Markus B?hmer
Datenbankentwickler

Post by James Knot » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:21:50

> Please help. All the info you have about using a hardware router may
> help. Also an understanding of the router tables. (There are entries
> therein I don't comprehend. And what's a 'gateway' for what? The
> router also connects to my DSL modem which works for the two Linux
> boxes and the Windoze boxes.)

A "gateway" is generally considered to be a router that connects two or
more otherwise independent networks.  Functionally, it's a router, that
happens you connect you to the Internet.

--
Please remember the September 11th victims and their families.  Make a
donation to a charity.

james.knott.

1. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

Hi,

A friend has the enviable problem that routing to the two
ISP's is not working as they want them to.  They have one
cisco router that always uses one ISP, and not the other.
The goal is to have the DMZ/internet servers use one ISP,
and the other internal networks and desktops use the other.

It's been suggested that a static route to the desired ISP
be setup on the internet server, and it's default route
pointed there.  Will that work?

What will?

Please send replies to email, since I don't often get to news.
If there is interest, a summary of the solution will be posted.

Thanks,

Pamela Pledger

Taos Mountain           http://www.taos.com

2. analyzing dump

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. ricoh mp7120a cdrw

5. Simple 10/100 router, What am i missing?

6. Diskless Boot

7. router log - I am under attack ??

8. Find Work/contacts at The CV Index

9. linksys router keepd disconnecting me from DSL (please help, I am lost)

10. how to print gdf files on pp3812-2

11. (GDF) Make my NFS work ...

12. (GDF) Help! My viewport is stuck!

13. (GDF) Are there tools to perform hardware testing under Linux?